Architecture You Love

Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.

Brandt poem from the 1951 Student Publication at the NCSU School of Design.


Brandt was born in Brooksville MS but lived most of life in Washington, Durham, Greenville, and Raleigh NC.  He served in the Navy starting in 1944, serving as an Electronics Technician's Mate outfitting ships for post-war atomic bomb tests.  After working at WGTC radio in Greenvile NC, he graduated with honors with a BA in Architecture from the NCSU School of Design in 1951.  He was the first editor of the "Student Publication of the NCSU School of Design."

After working for William Baumgarten and
Terry Waugh, he designed the A. M.  Fleishman Residence in 1951 while with Ed Loewenstein.  Brandt was with Milton Small from 1952 until his retirement in 1991.  They collaborated on many notable buildings including the 1954 Gregory Poole showroom and offices (with George Matsumoto) in Raleigh; the 1957 Home Security Life Building in Durham; the 1962 Northwestern Insurance Building, now occupied by the Raleigh Orthopaedic Clinic at 3515 Glenwood Avenue; the 1963 BB&T Bank Building at 119-191 Hay Street in Fayetteville; and the 1971 North Carolina Medical Society Building at 222 North Person Street, Raleigh.   At NCSU, buildings he and Small designed include the 1959 Talley Student Center, which includes Stewart Theater, Price Music Center, and the 1960 University Bookstore (demolished in 2011).  His masterpiece, however, was his own house, below.

After his professional retirement in 1991, Brandt devoted his time to genealogical research. He published his work in two bound volumes which were distributed to libraries and family members. He researched "One Peterson Family" for 5 years, and "One Brandt Family" for 9 years.





1955 - The Jim and Kelly Brandt House, 122 East Drewry Lane, Raleigh.  Built by Frank Walser Sold in 1979 to Edwin G. and Emmagene Thurlow, Jr.  Sold in 1982 to Peggy Howell Watkins Page who bulit an addition in 1986.  Sold in 2005 to Laura Ling.  The original roof design, gravel with a series of arches, was replaced with a traditional shingle roof. Sold in 2012 to Joy Carole Cline.

Sources include:  Jim Brandt, Rob Brandt, Laura Ling.