2013 Durham Magazine profile on Condoret
JON ANDRE CONDORET (1934-2010)
Condoret was born in Algiers, Algeria. He earned a Bachelor of Arts in Architecture at the L'Ecole Speciale d'Architecture in Paris in 1959. He moved to North Carolina from Algeria in 1962 to work for Archie Davis.
In 1967 he worked as Winn/Condoret Architects with partner Sumner Winn. In 1968, he worked for Don Stewart at CPAA before going out on his own, designing strikingly modern homes across Chapel Hill and Chatham County, including many as Senior Architect for Fearrington. In 1992, he designed Caring House, (below) a hotel for adult cancer patients receiving outpatient treatment at the Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center. His daughter is Chapel Hill architect Arielle Schechter.
1968 - The Charles
B. and Kathryn P. Huestis House,
1803 Woodburn Road,
1969 - The Linda and Allan Kornberg Residence, 23 Scott Place, Durham. Sold in 1994 to Richard and Linda Kulka. The Kulka's left and it sat empty for a few years. Sold in 2005 to Dwayne and Rosie Andrews who did extensive renovations. Became a rental. Went into foreclosure with neglect and damage from previous tenants. Top five photos are from around 2005. Bottom two photos are from December 2011 when the property was close to being a teardown. Put on the TMH Endangered List. Sold in 2012 to Zia and Thomas Oatley. They did a renovation designed by Center Studio Architecture and built by Craig Fox.
1969 - The
Albert and Sedrid Nelius Residence,
3112 Sprunt Avenue,
1970 - The Athos and Anna D. Ottolenghi
9719 Rougemont Road,
Bahama NC. 14 acres. Sold to Marlon Peyton.
1970 - The George S. and Alice Welsh House, 13 Friday Lane, Chapel Hill. Sold in 1990 to Alice M. Welsh. Sold in 1993 to C. Robert and Rosemary Dudgeon. Sold in 1995 to Thomas and Katherine Stanley, Jr., who did an addition in 1995. Sold in 2003 to Matthew and Barbara Hapgood who did an addition in 2003. Addition/renovation in 2012 by architect Ellen Cassilly, bottom four photos.
1972 - The Mary S. Anderson residence, 618 Beech Tree Court, Chapel Hill. As of 2011 still owned by Mary Anderson.
1972 - The Richard and Pat Hughes House, 2512 West Club Boulevard, Durham. 2266 square feet. Sold in 2001 to Rafael Lopez-Barrantes. Sold in 2007 to Brenda Pomeroy. Bottom two photos by Allen Weiss.
1973 - The L. Arthur and Florence Larson Residence, 1 Learned Place, Durham. Commissioned 1971. Condoret said it was his favorite project of all time. Top two photos by Condoret. The Pickett family graveyard is located at the end of its driveway. Sold to Donald Beskind and Wendy Robineau in 1994. Originally 4825 sf. Renovation by architect Fu-Tung Cheng, built by Landmark Renovation. Landscape entry design in 2008 by Judy Harmon. Master bedroom renovations in 2011, designed by owners in consultation will Bill Waddell and Vinny Petrarca and built by Krichco. Now 6040 sf. Most photos by Wendy Robineau. Toured by TMH in 2013. Bottom four photos by Ormando Harris and Leilani Carter.
1973 - The Cal and Roz Kovens Residence, 1921 South Lakeshore Drive, Chapel Hill. Built by Cal and Scott Kovens. Sold in 1985 to Peter and Margaret Bennett. Sold in 1994 to Sharon Ochsman. Renovated in 1995. Sold to Paul Green, Jr. in 2007, who put in an elevator. Sold in 2008 to John and Barbara Watkin. Photos by John Watkin.
5618 Brisbane Drive ,
Chapel Hill. Sold in 1990 to Janet Boudreau, still owner as of
, Chapel Hill. Sold in 1990 to Janet Boudreau, still owner as of 2014.
1976 - The Bill Carlton Terry Residence,
2009 South Lakeshore Drive,
1976 - The Arie
and Anita Lewin Residence,
804 Cedar Falls Road, Chapel
1976 - The Robert S. and Bryna Gilgor House, 811 Kenmore Road, Chapel Hill. Construction documents were drawn up by John Couch. Built by C. S. Witt. Kim Anderson was on the framing crew. Sold in 1991 to James (Nick) England and Mary C. Whitton who still owned it as of 2012. They added a garage with help from Condoret. Photos by Nick England.
1977 - The Ronald and Dorothy Baker House,
622 Wells Court,
1981 - The James and Frances Davis Residence, 6 Harvey Place, Durham. Sold in 1992 to Philip Lehman and Judy Kincaid. Sold in 2007 to David and Mary Lee Lobach. 4468 square feet. Interior photos by Judy Kincaid.
1981 - The Sarah Chetney and Brooks McCuen Residence, 2807 Montgomery Street, Durham. Sold in 2013 to Toby A. Ritterhoff and David W. Oldach.
1981 - The Christopher S. and Lisa Best Residence, 152 Turtle Run, Pittsboro NC. Sold in 2007 to Thomas John Van Steenberg and Nancy J. Talbot. Sold in 2013 to Valerie L. Wallen.
1982 - The Allen and Marcia Roses House, 9 Womble Circle, Durham. Sold in 1998 to Robert and Shelley Beason. Sold in 2008 to Dan and Sumedha Ariely. Four bedrooms, 4249 square feet.
1985 - The Brian and Moyra Kileff Renovation, 403 Clayton Road, Chapel Hill. After a house fire in 1985, Condoret added a second floor along with the Modernist styling. Built by Jon S. Harder of Chapel Hill. Photo by Chase Hanes. Still owned by the Kileffs as of 2014.
1985 - The Lowell and Mary Elizabeth King Residence, 1720 Tisdale Road, Durham. Sold in 1997 to Wayne and Elva Massey. Sold in 2004 to Charlotte and James Stivers, still owners as of 2014.
1987 - The Steven and Laura Maier Residence, 123 Steeplechase, Chapel Hill. As of 2011 still owned by the Maiers. Bottom photo by Nicole Alvarez.
1987 - The
Stanley Levy Residence,
3500 Cedarwood Court,
1988 - The Anna R. Hayes Residence, 3301 Arthur Minnis Road, Hillsborough. Although traditionally southern on the outside, the house has a more modern interior. Sold in 2012 to the Stephen Smith Trust. Top photo by James Blackburn.
1989 - The D. Michael Warner and Elizabeth (Betty) B. Craven Residence, 4112 Powder Mill Road, Durham. Condoret designed the original house, an auto museum (bottom photo) in 1998, a guest house in 2002, a pool house, a conservatory, and an extensive addition to the original house. Except for the original house, everything was built by Caledonia Construction.
1989 - The Sheldon and Doren Pinnell Residence, 3127 Surrey Road, Durham. Originally built by Metz and Dehart. 90% was destroyed in 2010 for an extensive renovation by architect Hutch Johnson. Leon Meyers did most of the construction; the house was completed by another firm. The complete makeover included Bulthaup cabinetry; Aventine casework; oriental garden; a backyard gazebo; solar power; a home theater, and more. The interior designer was Maho Abe at Zen Associates in Boston; her husband, Shin, designed the garden and Zen’s installation crew did the installation.
1990 - The Jean S. and William H. Glaze House, 2411 Pickard Mountain Drive, Hillsborough. Sold in 2004 to Michael A. Turner. Deeded in 2006 to Harshini and Michael A. Turner. Sold later in 2006 to Monica and Paul Sylvestre. For sale in 2014.
1990 - The Rudy Y. Riggs and James (Jim) Phillips House, 830 Terry Road, Hurdle Mills NC. Still owned by Riggs and Phillips as of 2014. Photos by Jim Phillips.
Sources include: The Town and Gown Architecture of Chapel Hill, North Carolina 1795-1975
by M. Ruth Little, his daughter Arielle Schechter, Scott Kovens, Leon Meyers.