PIERRE FRANCIS KOENIG, FAIA (1925-2004)
Pierre Koenig was born in San Francisco. His family moved to Los Angeles in 1939. After serving in the Army from 1943-1946, he attended the University of Utah, Pasadena City College, and USC-LA, graduating in 1952. During his architecture training, he apprenticed in the offices of Raphael Soriano; Edward Fickett; Kistner, Wright and Wright; and Jones and Emmons. He established a private design practice in 1952 and built 43 exposed steel-and-glass buildings. While in practice, he taught at the School of Architecture at USC for 40 years. He was named both Distinguished Alumni and Distinguished Professor at USC in 1998.
1950 - Koenig's own house #1, 2002 Los Encinos Avenue, Glendale CA. 1000 square feet. Also built by Koenig. Structural Engineer: William Porush, who was part of many early Koenig buildings.
1953 - The Edward Lamel House, 1884 Los Encinos Avenue, Glendale CA. 1200 square feet. Structural Engineer: William Porush. Sold to William Walsh. Sold in 1989 to Jessie and Matthew Clemente who still owned it as of 2012.
1953 - The Squire House, 5323 Palm Drive, La Canada Flintridge CA. Structural Engineer: William Porush. Sold in 1988 to Chris Campbell. Sold in 1998 to the Joseph A. Schier Family Trust who were still the owners as of 2012.
1953 - The Scott House,
Canyon Road, Tujunga CA. 1250 square foot interior; 816 square
foot covered porch. Engineered and built by William Porush.
1958 - The Walter C. and Mary Bailey Residence, aka Case Study House #21, 9038 Wonderland Park Avenue, Los Angeles CA. At 1320 square feet, it was built for $20,000. Structural Engineer: William Porush. Built by Pat Hamilton. The two bedroom structure is balanced by five reflection pools that completely surround the house and serve both cooling functions and as visual transitions between building and site. Sold to Dan Craccioli. Koenig himself oversaw a complete renovation in 1998. Sold to Michael LaFetra in 1999. Sold to Mark Haddawy who sold it at auction in December 2006 to Song W. Hong and Seomi Gallery.
1958 - The Arnold Metcalf House, 7958 Silver Lake, Los Angeles CA. Structural engineer was William Porush. 2600 square feet. May not have been built.
1960 - The C. H. (Buck) and Carlotta Stahl House, aka Case Study House #22, Koenig's most well-known work. 1636 Woods Drive, Los Angeles CA 2600 square feet plus 1500 square feet in covered areas. As usual for Koenig, William Porush was the structural engineer. Interiors by Van Kepple Green. Robert J. Brady was the builder.
This is the West Coast's most famous Modernist house and has been the scene of many television shows and feature films. Featured in the movie Visual Acoustics. Still occupied by the original owners. Open to the public for tours.
1960 - The Tom Seidel and Jean Hagen House, 2727 Mandeville Canyon Road, Los Angeles CA. Structural Engineer: William Porush. Sold to Della and Gary Rolle, who had Koenig add a second story in 1984 plus a second renovation in 1995. For both renovations, the structural engineer was Dimitry Vergun and the contractor was R. G. West. As of 2012 still owned by the Rolle family.
1961 - The Francis and Larry Beidleman House,
1050 Hanley Drive, Los Angeles CA.
Koenig developed two schemes for the house.
None were built.
1961 - The Tom Seidel and Jean Hagen Beach House, 42560 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu CA. Built by the owner. Renovated by Busch Design in 2006. Sold to Stuart Sandi.
1961 - The Gerry and Robert Wilhelm House, 1355 N. Bundy Drive, Los Angeles CA. 1800 square feet. William Porush was the structural engineer. Built by Seidel Associates. Sold to John Huncke in 1990. Sold to Peter Cramer in 1994. Sold in 2004 to Allan Cramer who still owns it as of 2012.
1962 - The Elizabeth and Cyrus Johnson
1963 - The Alice and Bob Beagles House, 17446 Revello Drive, Pacific Palisades area of Los Angeles CA. Structural Engineer: William Porush. Built by Bruce Koch.
1966 - The Harold and Martha Henbest House, 7127 Crest Road, Rancho Palos Verdes CA. Mostly unaltered over the years, includes terrazzo, polished brick and concrete flooring; radiant floor heating; walnut cabinetry and paneling; and built-in buffet. Overlooks the ocean. Outdoor spaces include an expansive front courtyard with koi pond and tea house, and 11 sliding glass doors. For sale in 2009-2011.
1970 - The Sam West House,
125 Seawind Avenue, Vallejo CA.
3600 square feet. Structural Engineer: William Porush. Built by Carquinez Builders.
West passed away before he could move in.
Eventually, the house was demolished and the remaining land was never
developed as it was claimed as right-of-way by a utility
1979 - The Christy and Ferrell Burton III Pole House, 31371 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu CA. 2400 square feet total. Structural engineer was Tom Harris.
1983 - The Michael Gantert House, 6431 La Punta, Los Angeles CA. 1800 sf. Structural Engineer: Dimitry Vergun. Built by the owner. Remodeled 2005 with Billy Rose Design. Has been sold.
1985 - His own house #2, with wife
12221 Dorothy Street,
1994 - The Martin Schwartz House, 444 Sycamore Road, Santa Monica CA. 2700 square feet. Koenig designed a basement addition which was completed in 1996. This was Koenig's last design that was built in his lifetime.
2003 - The Vida Tarassoly & Mohsen Mehran House, Malibu CA. 4500 square feet. Unsure if it got built. Structural Engineer: Rubicon Engineering.
2003 - The H. Winters House, Dallas TX. May not have been built. 2000 square feet.
2012 - The Michael La Fetra Beach House, 6525 Point Lechuza, Malibu CA. Commissioned 2000. Koenig was working on it for La Fetra when he died. After many years, the house was finished (and altered somewhat) by architect James Tyler. 4080 square feet. Structural Engineer: Ficcadenti & Waggoner. Photos by Michael La Fetra.
Year unknown - The Eiko and Frank Stuermer
Year unknown - The Laguna Project, Laguna CA.
May not have been built.
Year unknown - The Guest House,
5786 Valley Oak Drive, Los Angeles
CA. The 1952 main house was designed by Gregory Ain.
For sale in 2011.
Year unknown - The Guest House, 5786 Valley Oak Drive, Los Angeles CA. The 1952 main house was designed by Gregory Ain. For sale in 2011.
Website © Copyright 2007-2013 Triangle Modernist Archive, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.