Late 1930's - Three to five traditional houses in Highland Park IL. No photos or addresses. Do you know where they are?
1946 - The Robert N. and Flora Hunter Precast Concrete House, aka Concrete House,
2101 Dellwood Drive, Greensboro NC. Robert Hunter was President of King-Hunter
Inc., the general contractor that built the house. Located next door to the 1948
Lustron. Sold in 1956 to Edwin and Inez Waddell. Sold in 1961 to
John H. and Viola Lanford. Sold in 1968 to Sarah E. Hearn. Sold in 1975 to Herschel J.
and Betty F. Hearn. Deeded in 1995 to Sarah Hearn Von Foerster.
1950 - The R. S. Cole House,
1208 Westridge Road, Greensboro. Sold in 1955 to
John Futrell. Sold in 1962 to Thomas A. and Dorothy Hall, Jr. Sold in 1989 to Curtis
and Terry Lashley, who took out the existing Modernist windows and put in vertical
windows. Sold in 1991 to Rob and Karen Luisana, who added a second story in 1991
designed by Karen Luisana and built by Don Sykes. Photos by Paul Macy.
1951 - The Martha and Wilbur Lee (Bo) Carter, Jr. Residence,
1012 Country Club Drive, Greensboro NC. This is the first Modernist house
in the area. Loewenstein incorporated passive solar heating in the "solar cell" room
on the south side. The room originally had a glass roof, sheltered in summer by two
mature trees. In winter, without leaves on the trees, the sun could warm the room.
A few years after construction, the trees died and were removed. The room got much
too hot without the trees so the glass roof was replaced with a conventional roof.
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2008. Won an AIANC design award
in 1951. Featured in Architectural Record 1952-53. Sold to Daniel and Kathy Craft.
Bottom photo by Leilani Carter. Part of the 2013 NCMH Modstar Tour.
1951 - The A. M. and Ruth Fleishman Residence,
2614 Morganton Road,
Fayetteville NC. As of 2011 owned by Dara and Stefani Wolff.
Jim Brandt was the
draftsman. Built by Ed Rynick. Top four b/w photos by
Has issues but is recoverable;
for sale 2013-2016.
photos by John Cooley.
1951 - The Adele and M. Lewis Rosenberg House,
3300 Starmount Drive, Greensboro. Traditional design. Sold to Clara Mae Lupton. Sold to heirs of
Clara Mae Lupton. Sold in 2015 to Mary E. ad Woody J. Sandlin. Sold in 2015 to Mary E. and Woody J. Sandlin.
1951 - The Kathryn K and Voit Gilmore House,
700 East Indiana
Southern Pines. Gilmore was former Mayor in town.
Gilmore also founded the Four Seasons Travel Service in 1970 and was appointed
by President John F. Kennedy as first director of the US Travel Service.
Sold in 1986 to Harriet C. and Kent L. Hogan. Sold in 2001 to SaraLou and David
J. Caliri. Sold in 2004 to Bank. Sold in 2005 to Todd J. Zeh. For sale in 2016.
1952 - The Barbara and Harvey Colchamiro House,
106 Knollwood Drive, Greensboro.
Traditional design. Sold in 2002 to John and Lori Wilson. Sold in 2004 to Linda M. and George R. Spangler. Sold in 2008 to Erin and Todd Badgett. Sold in 2013 to Ellen Thaxton Turner. Sold in 2004 to Linda M. and
George R. Spangler. Sold in 2008 to Erin and Todd Badgett. Sold in 2013 to
Ellen Thaxton Turner.
1952 - The Charles D. Orth III House, corner of Dover Road at Hammel Road, Greensboro. Traditional design. Commissioned 1950. Has been extensively renovated.
1952 - The Edith Pipkin Cottage, aka Pink Perfection,
172 Ocean Boulevard, Kitty Hawk,
NC. Edith Pipkin was secretary of the Cone Mills. Deeded to Pipkin's great-nephew Ashmead Pringle Pipkin.
1953 - The Eleanor and Marion Bertling Residence,
2312 Princess Ann Street,
Greensboro NC. Atypical of the times, almost three dozen neighbors signed a petition
of support for building a Modernist dwelling, flying in the face of the unwritten restrictions
from the planning and zoning department to prohibit such designs in the Kirkwood neighborhood. Sold in 2001 to Elaine L. and John R. Hammer. Exterior photos
by Nicole Alvarez.
1953 - The JoAnne Spangler Residence,
444 Downing Drive, Danville VA. The
1700-square foot, one-story home perches on the hillside and a large exterior deck
floats above the creek, suspending deck-sitters in the midst of trees. Sold in 2006 to
Porter Aichele and Fritz Janschka. Restored in 2007. In 2011, architect
designed a bathroom addition.
1954 - The Addie and John R. Miller House,
1904 Lafayette Avenue, Greensboro. Traditional design. Sold in 1986 to Betty Jo and Charles Forney III.
1954 - The Mildred and E. Ray Bond House,
1214 Westridge Road, Greensboro. Unsure
if this is the original house footprint; it appears to have an addition. Sold to Edward and
Colleen C. Catalano. Has been remodeled away from Modernist design. Bottom photo
by Steve Powers.
1954 - The Oscar and Juliet Burnett House,
1908-1910 Lafayette Avenue, Greensboro.
Interiors by Sarah Hunter Kelly. Lighting by Thomas Smith Kelly. Destroyed 2007.
1954 - The William A. (Bill) Stern House,
114 Wedgedale Avenue, Greensboro. Traditional design. As of 2011 owned by Douglas and Shannon Childs.
1954 - The Edward and Frances Loewenstein House,
2104 Granville Road, Greensboro.
Featured in the New York Times Magazine, June 1955. Has a separate carport / apartment. Located on three acres. As of 2011 owned by Jane Levy, Loewenstein's daughter, and her husband Richard. The amazing living room fireplace is built into a window.
Part of the 2013 NCMH Modapalooza Tour.
1954 - The Maurice and Dorothy Fleishman House,
1501 Raeford Road, Fayetteville NC. Attributed to Loewenstein. Sold to Raymond E. Nicholson. Destroyed in 2009.
1954 - The Libbie and Clarence Cone House,
910 Sunset Drive, Greensboro. 4900 sf.
Traditional design. Destroyed around 1998. Two new large houses, shown above, were
built on the site around 2005.
1954 - The James L. Henson House,
1004 Dover Road, Greensboro. Sold 1976 to
Clara B. and Curtis Ray Holmes. Traditional design. Transferred to their trust in 1998.
1955 - 1957 - The Lawrence and Ellen Cohen House,
1002 Dover Road, Greensboro.
Sold in 1978 to M. Harvey Rubin. Sold in 1986 to Albert and Florence Jacobson.
Sold in 2014 to Sarah and Brian Lopatka.
A mix of Modern and traditional; often
referred to as Loewenstein "hybrid" house.
1955 - The Martha and Caesar Cone House,
506 West Cornwallis Drive, Greensboro.
Destroyed. Loewenstein's daughter Jane Loewenstein Levy recalls that Cone was the only
client her father argued with, especially over the cost of air conditioning the Modernist
mansion Loewenstein designed for him. Cone fired and then rehired Loewenstein. The
mansion was demolished around 1994 for a cul-de-sac neighborhood, bottom photo.
B/W photos by Carol W. Martin/Greensboro Historical Museum Collection.
1955 - The Alsia and Archie B. Joyner House,
1805 Nottingham Road, Greensboro.
Sold in 1995 to Susan S. and Thomas P. Storrs.
1955 - The Elreta and Girardeau Alexander House, Randleman Road, Greensboro.
In 1947, Elreta Alexander was the first black woman licensed as a lawyer in North Carolina.
On February 12, 1962, Girardeau and 10 other black citizens of Greensboro filed a historic
racial discrimination suit against two hospitals. The Alexanders divorced and Elreta Alexander-Ralston became the first black woman in the nation elected to the judicial bench in 1968.
1955 - The Ann and Lloyd P. Tate Residence, aka Starland Farm, Midland Road,
Southern Pines NC. Landscape architecture by
Thomas Hayes worked for Loewenstein and went to Southern Pines to oversee construction. Interiors by Sarah
Hunter Kelly. Destroyed around 1989 for the Long Leaf Country Club.
1955 - The Doris and W. C. Boren III House,
1912 Lafayette Avenue, Greensboro.
Traditional design. Sold in 1983 to Charley W and Judith Proctor. Sold in 1997 to
William E. and Emily Hall, Jr.
1955 - The Faye and French P. Wise House,
3700 Holts Chapel Road, Greensboro.
Traditional design. Sold in 2000 to Amy A. Reynolds. Photo by Steve Powers.
1955 - The Ogburn Fletcher Stafford, Sr. House,
5307 Wayne Road, Sedgefield NC.
Taken over by NCNB when Fletcher died in 1970. Remodeled in 1974. Sold to Sigmund and Helen Davidson in 1978. Transferred under Davidson family control several times. Sold in
1991 to Barry and Susan Heller. Sold in 2002 to Layne A. and Judy Ann Fuller.
1956 - The Stephen L. and Nancy York Upson House,
2101 Lafayette Avenue, Greensboro. Original house, left photo Traditional design. Sold in 2007 to Liza M. and James C. Lee. They changed the roofline and expanded the footprint, right photo.
1956 - The Isabel and Sydney Cone, Jr. House,
306 Rockford Road, Greensboro. As of 2011 owned by Paul and Mary Livingston.
1958 - The Robert S. and Bettie Chandgie House,
401 Kimberly, Greensboro. Commissioned 1957. A mix of Modern and traditional; often referred to as Loewenstein "hybrid" house. Renovated in 1985. As of 2011 still owned by the Chandgies.
1957 - The Emma and Victor Bates House,
3910 Starmount Drive, Greensboro.
Sold in 2001 to William
Chester Alley and Gordon L. Nelson.
Sold in 2013 to Josephine A. and Bobby L. Straughn.
Straughns simply cleared the liens on the house and listed it
unsuccessfully several times. They never moved in, but eventually
sold it to give relief to previous owners Alley and Nelson. Sold in
2016 to Jay Bulluck and Lauren Ladd.
1957 - The Monroe and Esther Rippe House, Danville VA. 3000 sf. Address unknown.
1958 - The Francis and Irvin Squires Residence, aka the Commencement House,
2207 North Elm Street, taught an innovative architectural design course at NC Woman's
College (now UNC-Greensboro). Twenty-three female students designed a house,
oversaw its construction, and decorated the resulting structure, dubbed the Commencement House by the University's public relations office. The Greensboro Daily News proclaimed
the house "as modern as tomorrow," hailing the women who designed it as pioneers,
reporting that "they are the first pupils outside the schools of architecture to attempt the
complete designing and building of a house." At its May 1958 dedication, covered by the newspaper and broadcast on WUNC-TV, North Carolina First Lady Mrs. Luther Hodges,
herself an alumna of Woman's College, cut the ribbon on the house. Written up in the
November 1958 edition of McCall's Magazine (above). Contractor: Eugene Gulledge (Superior Contracting Company of Greensboro). B/W photos from UNCG Walter Jackson Library, Department of Special Collections. Recent photos by Charles Brummitt.
2010 virtual tour by photographer
The 360° VR tour is self-guided and does not depict every room (bathrooms, utility rooms,
and a lower-level recreation room and bedroom were not photographed). Use the
directional arrows in the navigation bar that overlays each image, or your mouse, to
explore each space. The button on the far right of the navigation bar opens a full-screen
view. Hotspots, which link to views of other rooms, are depicted by highlighted areas or
pulsing circles. Developer John Stratton purchased the house to be part of a larger redevelopment. Although the house had deteriorated to the point where it could not
economically be recovered, neighbors organized to save it anyway. In 2010, after several
public hearings, the house was destroyed.
1958 - The Helen Ashby House,
1710 Wright Avenue, Greensboro NC. Ashby designed the house with assistance from Loewenstein. Built by John T. Hiatt was the builder.
Deeded to Paul Allen and Ann Ashby. For sale in 2015.
1959 - The Marion and Kenneth P. Hinsdale House,
612 Rockford Road, Greensboro NC.
Also known as the 1959 Commencement House. Built for $24,000, the UNCG students
divided the small, family-oriented, one story house into public and private zones, orienting
the public but cozy dining room and theatrical living room out a large expanse of glass
wall toward the wooded lot and a lake view. There are three bedrooms and two and
one-half baths, including a large master suite. The house was featured in Living for Young Homemakers. Walter J. Moran was the interior designer. Contractor was Eugene Gulledge of Superior Contracting Company.
Sold in 2008 to Randy McManus.
1959 - The James Bruce House, Greensboro NC. Address unknown. A mix of Modern and traditional; often referred to as Loewenstein "hybrid" house.
1959 - The Evelyn and John Hyman House,
608 Kimberly Drive, Greensboro. Designed with Gregory Ivy. Built by Eugene Gulledge. Project architect Kelly Richard Kidd. Landscape design
by Raeford Turner. Addition and renovation in the 1980's, architect unknown. Sold to Lisa Tannenbaum. Sold in 2006 to Fred Lopp. In 2011 owned by Lopp's LLC, Equity Resource Partners IV LLC. Sold in 2013 to Fred B. Lopp.
Part of the 2013 NCMH ModStar Tour.
102 Elmwood Terrace, Greensboro. It had been empty for 8 years and was close
to being destroyed. David Kratt bought it and did massive renovations between 1995 and
1999. Sold in 2002.Sold in 2007 to Myron and Sklyer Bass. Sold in 2012 to Bart Alan and
Tonya Ruth Loveday-Whitley.
Sold in 2016 to Parrish L. and Jonathan T. Peddrick.
1960 - The Virginia F. and Dallas Bright House,
1000 Stage Coach Trail, Greensboro. The former address for the site was 6812 West Friendly Avenue. A traditional ranch house. In 1999, the Brights sold to the NC DOT who ran a road through the front yard. Sold in 2002 to Creative Home Solutions of the Triad. Photo by Steve Powers.
1961 - The Bob Pennfield White Residence,
1244 Sam Lions Trail, Martinsville VA.
Built on a cliff. The clients spent three years looking at plan books for a special "California-style"
house. Loewenstein designed the original house core; Bill Gilbert of Stanley Bowles Corporation designed the rest. Built by Earl Helms, later Stanley Clark.
1962 - The Joanne and Wayne Davis House,
5925 Westdale Acres Drive, Pleasant
Garden NC. 5 acres. Commissioned 1959. As of 2011 still owned by the Davis family.
1962 - The Alf Hollar House, aka the Horizon House,
1807 Brookcliff Drive, Greensboro
NC, part of a competition sponsored locally by Carolina Quality Block Construction.
Originally owned by Superior Construction Corporation who was also the builder. They
sold it to Hollar. Addition by
Clinton Gravely in the 1970's. As of 2011 owned by Travis and Louise Hicks. B/W photos by Carol W. Martin/Greensboro Historical Museum Collection. olor photos by Mark Meagher.
1962 - The Leah and A. Jack Tannenbaum House,
2904 Wynnewood Drive, Greensboro.
Features a large curved fireplace, exposed timber ceiling, and a courtyard. Renovations
in 1975. As of 2011 owned by their daughter, Jean. Clinton Gravely and
were project architects.
1964 - The M. Celeste Ulrich House,
5808 Queen Alice Road, Greensboro. According
to Celeste Ulrich, Loewenstein did a few sketches but the house was never built.
1964 - The Ellen and Edgar Marks House,
210 Kemp Road East, Greensboro.
Sold in 1975 to Ellen S. Marks. Sold in 1975 to Claudius and Virginia Dockery III.
Sold in 1976 to I. H. Caffey Jr. Sold in 1983 to George W. and Carroll Page, Jr. Top
photo by Paul Macy.
1964 - The Richard and Joan Steele Residence,
601 Woodland Drive,
As of 2011 owned by William and Elizabeth Blackwell. Top photo by Leilani Carter.
1965 - The Herbert L. Smith and Nancy Downs Smith House,
3307 Gaston Road,
Greensboro NC. Also known as the 1965 Commencement House. Nancy Downs,
hostess for the WUNC-TV show "Potpourri," had covered the 1958 Commencement
House and had her eyes on being the next Commencement House client. Student Polly
Colville designed a dramatic 17-foot high window wall in the entrance hall, a
second-floor deck above a terrace overlooking the golf course at the rear of the lot.
Sold in 1986. The property went into foreclosure in 2009 and sold to Alan Bacot and
Christine Cotton. 1.5 acres, 3878 square feet.
1965 - The James and Anne Willis House,
707 Blair Street, Greensboro NC. Threatened with teardown when Sara and Tom Sears bought the house in 2002. Has been restored.
1965 - The Joan and Herbert
(Herb) S. Falk, Jr., House,
2204 Marston Road, Greensboro. Commissioned 1964. Sold in 2005 to Ryan and Lindsay Jones
who updated the kitchen and made other small improvements.
2930 Ormond Drive, Winston-Salem NC. The original owners moved out and
it was sold around 2000. As of 2011 owned by Susan Alvers and Ralph Rice.
1965 - The David M. Parmelee House,
429 East Hendrix Street, Greensboro. We have been unable to locate this house; it may be destroyed. Do you know?
1967 - The Mark and Willie Snow Ethridge Residence,
1444 Center Grove Church Road, Moncure NC. As of 2011 owned by Joyce and Fred Sparling.
1967 - The Florence and Albert Jacobson House,
3607 Henderson Road, Greensboro. This was from a plan book; Loewenstein did modifications. As of 2011 owned by Christine Stone.
1968 - The Barbara and Maurice Fishman House,
204 Kemp Road East, Greensboro.
Sold to Barbara Lavietes. As of 2011 owned by Kelli Ingram.
Sources include: Patrick Lee Lucas, Greensboro News and Record, daughter Jane Loewenstein Levy, former employee
2009 Fayetteville Modern Architecture Survey Report, North Carolina Architects and Builders Database, Carol W. Martin/Greensboro Historical Museum Collection.