Enjoy browsing, but
unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property
and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.
"Architects must have a razor-sharp sense of
Perspectives in Architecture: Dion Neutra discusses his Dad and the VDL house, with cello music by his Mom Dione.
Richard Neutra: An
Interior View, a terrific eight-minute film by grandson Justin Neutra.
The film was Justin's audition for the American Film Institute. He got
in but decided to continue a career as metalurgist and mechanical
Neutra's autobiography is Life and Shape.
RICHARD JOSEF NEUTRA (1892-1970)
Richard Neutra was born in Vienna, Austria, into a wealthy Jewish family. Neutra attended the Sophiengymnasium in Vienna until 1910, and he studied under Adolf Loos and Otto Wagner at the Vienna University of Technology from 1910 to 1918). In 1912 he undertook a study trip to Italy and the Balkans with Ernst Ludwig Freud (son of Sigmund Freud). He studied at the University of Zurich and worked briefly for landscape architect Gustav Ammann. In 1921 he worked as City Architect in the Planning Department of Luckenwalde, an industrial town in Germany. He also worked briefly for architect Erich Mendelsohn in Berlin.
In 1922, Neutra married Dione Niedermann, the daughter of an architect, and they moved to the US in 1923. At the funeral of Louis Sullivan, Neutra met Frank Lloyd Wright, who hired him in 1924 to work at Taliesin in Wisconsin while Wright was in Japan. Work ran out in 1925 and Neutra left Taliesin to work in California with Rudolf Schindler.
Among many projects, Schindler and Neutra collaborated on an entry for the League of Nations Competition of 1927; in the same year they formed a design firm with planner Carol Aronovici called the Architectural Group for Industry and Commerce (AGIC). Neutra and Schindler and their wives were very close; they shared space in Schindler's house on Kings Road in Los Angeles from February 1925 until the Neutras left to tour Europe in May 1930.
The breakup of Neutra and Schindler is often accorded to Neutra "stealing" client Phillip Lovell for the Lovell Health House. According to Neutra's son Raymond, it was not that simple. Schindler was busy with projects like the Buck House on Catalina Island and the unbuilt Transparent House for Aline Barnsdall. Phillip Lovell was grumpy about an earlier 1924 Schindler cabin that collapsed in the snow during its first winter. Schindler was also having an affair with Harriet Freeman, Lovell's sister-in-law (who Lovell intensely disliked) and Lovell didn't want the architect of his new Health house under her influence. Schindler was just as happy not to put up with Lovell, and the project shifted to Neutra.
The Neutra/Schindler partnership did not unravel over that house, however. The hostility began in late 1930 when Schindler heard from friends that Neutra was not crediting him about the League of Nations project. It got worse when Schindler was rejected from the Philip Johnson's MOMA International Style exhibition in New York which Neutra brought to LA for the 1932 Olympics.
Neutra and Schindler ended their partnership and co-residency and rarely interacted after that. When Neutra had a heart attack in 1953, he found himself in the same hospital room as Schindler. They made peace before Schindler died there of cancer. The hostility was on Schindler's side and Neutra was happy to have the reconcilliation.
Novelist and philosopher Ayn Rand based part of her character Howard Roark on Neutra in The Fountainhead. She was the second owner of Neutra's Von Sternberg House.
1927 and 1969, Neutra designed more than 300 houses in California and
elsewhere. In 1949, Time Magazine featured Neutra on its cover and ranked him second only to
Frank Lloyd Wright in American architecture. After that, Neutra had all the
work he could ever want.
Neutra visited the NCSU School of Design as a guest lecturer for the first time in 1950.
On December 13, 1957, Neutra lectured again at the NCSU School of
Design. He led the class in writing a letter to
Frank Lloyd Wright:
In 1966, he moved back to Vienna, Austria. He died in Germany in 1970 while in the
middle of an argument with a client, according to grandson Justin, who
later made a short film about Neutra, listed on the left. In 1977 he was awarded the AIA
1923 - The Adolf Sommerfeld Houses, four homes designed while working withr Erich Mendelsohn, located at 85, 87, 89, and 91 Onkel-Tom-Strasse in Berlin-Zehlendorf, Germany. Bottom two photos by Raymond Neutra. These were the earliest examples of Modernist houses in Berlin.
1929 - Neutra's reputation was firmly established with the Philip M. and Lea Lovell house, aka the Health House, 4616 Dundee Drive, Los Angeles CA. 4807 square feet. It was the first US steel-framed house built in the International style. It is also an early example of the use of gunite (sprayed-on concrete). Neutra's client, who was a fitness expert, wanted the house to symbolize physical well-being.
Harris was the project architect. Once the house was built, Neutra conducted tours which attracted more than 15,000
visitors. The house was included in the 1932 NY Museum of Modern
Art exhibit that redefined the International style. Added to the
National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
1932 - The Van der Leeuw House (aka the VDL Research House or The Neutra House), 2300 Silver Lake Boulevard, Los Angeles CA. A visionary benefactor, Van der Leeuw, loaned Neutra the funds to build a prototype Modernist house and use it to research future design challenges. Neutra and his family lived here. In 1940 an innovative garden wing was added that created north and south patios. Tragically, while Richard Neutra was on a speaking tour, the house burned in 1963. It was rebuilt 1964-1966. B/W photos are pre-fire provided by Raymond Neutra; color photos are post-fire and include the garden wing and the RIchard and Dion Neutra VDL II wing.
In 1990 Neutra's wife Dione left the house to California Poly Pomona College of Environmental Design. In 1999 it was named one of the World Monument Fund's 100 Most Endangered Sites. There are several roof leaks which are particularly troublesome - and expensive - and fundraising is ongoing. Open for public tours and donations.
1932 - The Austrian
Werkbund House, Woinonichgasse 9, Vienna, Austira.
1933 - The Ernest and Bertha Mosk House, aka Study for Steep Hillside Development, 2742 Hollyridge Drive, Los Angeles CA. Sold to Martin and Leslie Suarez.
1933 - The Nathan and Malve Koblick House, aka Farmstead Residence, originally 98 Fairview Avenue, Atherton CA. As of 1994, owned by Michelle Gadd Taube, who did renovations in 1995. Re-addressed to 288 Camino Al Lago.
1934 - The Anna Sten and Eugene Frenke House, 126 Mabery Road, Santa Monica CA. Featured in House Beautiful in 1934. Actor Charlie Chaplin used the house to hide from publicity in the early 1940's he was dating the then-underage Oona O'Neill. Sten and Frenke bought the adjacent lot and combined it with theirs. Sold to second owner Bernie Gould. Location for the movie Laurel Canyon. Sold to Jeffrey and Jeanne Levy-Hinte who hired Biber Architects in association with Marmol-Radziner for a 2005 renovation. Sold in 2009 to Marc Forster and altered again. Bottom photo by Julius Shulman.
1934 - The Rosalind Rajogopals Addition, 2126 North Gower Street, Los Angeles CA. Neutra expanded a Spanish-style house by putting on a second floor. Later, Paul Hoag did a studio apartment addition, bottom photo. Sold to Robert and Hiroko Sloss. Sold in 2013 to Clinton Financial LLC.
1934 - The William and Melba Beard House, 1981 Meadowbrook, Altadena CA. Designed with Gregory Ain. The house used rust-resistant coated HH Robertson fluted steel panels assembled according to a system devised by architect Vincent Palmer, who had used the panels to be covered by stucco in Spanish Revival style. A foundation slab composed of diatomaceous material served as a radiant heat source. Middle color photos by Raymond Neutra. Last photo by Raymond Neutra. 1200 square feet. Sold to Charles W. and Erin Devore. Sold in 2013 to Charles Devore.
1934 - The Galka E. Scheyer House, 1880 Blue Heights Drive, Los Angeles CA. Renovated 1939-1941 by Gregory Ain, bottom two photos by Julius Shulman. Owned at one time by Harvey Schaffer. As of 2007, the owner was Frank M. Devine.
1935 - The Largent House, 49 Hopkins Avenue, San Francisco CA. Sold to Wayne Edfors. Sold in 2013 to Goodberg LLC.
1935 - Architectural Forum published two Neutra designs in April as part of a competition.
Probably not built.
1936 - The Josef Kun House I, 7960 Fareholm Drive, Los Angeles CA. Designed with Gregory Ain. Sold to Bruce and Kimi Westcott. Sold in 2008 to Gerald Casale. Near the Kun House II. Remodeled by Casale, James Rega, and Christopher Steele. For sale in 2015.
1936 - The Douglas Plywood Model Experimental House, aka the Brice House, 427 Beloit Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Originally this 1565 sf metal and plywood prefabricated building was part of a 1936 exhibition at the LA Building Center. A few years later, it was sold to architect Maynard Lyndon. Sold a few years later to William J. (Bill) and Shirley Brice, who moved it to this address and lived there until at least 2008. Deeded to John Brice. B/W photos by Edward Van Altena. Color photos by Raymond Neutra. Featured in Architectural Forum, July 1936.
1936 - The Josef Von Sternberg House, 10000 Tampa Avenue, Northridge CA. Commissioned 1935. Movie director Von Sternberg famously insisted that there be no door locks on the bathrooms in case a temperamental actor or actress decided to kill themselves there. After passing through several owners, author Ayn Rand bought the house with her husband, Frank, and lived there from 1943 to 1963. She called it "unbelievably wonderful."
Sold to a neighbor, the Houchins. It became a rental, then went vacant for years. According to Dion Neutra, in 1971 the homeless had taken up residence. The Houchins refused to hire security and gave Dion a week to move it, then they had it destroyed. Photos by Julius Shulman.
Video of the destruction courtesy of Andy Moore, the Hills' neighbor, friend and part-time groundskeeper/caretaker. He shot this film when he was 15.
1937 - The Harry Koblick Duplex, 1816-1818 Silverwood Terrace, Los Angeles CA. Harry was a cousin of Neutra client Nathan Koblick. Designed with Gregory Ain. Sold to Barbara Legere. Ain designed a kitchen remodel which was not built. As of 2007, the owner was Marcia Legere Binns. Deeded to her daughter, Brigit Binns. Sold in 2012 to Cyrus Galen Eternad. Bottom photo by Raymond Neutra.
1937 - The Albert and Ruth Ruben Addition, 50 Haldeman Road, Santa Monica CA. Has been expanded and remodeled. As of 2008, owned by Ronald and Catherine Kurstin.
1937 - The Charles and Lillian B. Richter House, 1820 Kenneth Way, Pasadena CA. He invented the Richter scale for measuring earthquakes. 1245 square feet. The house was seized by the state and destroyed in 1973 to make way for the 210 Foothill Freeway. Featured in Architectural Forum, 1937.
Interestingly, there is a another house with an address of 1820 Kenneth Way, built in 1951, shown in the photo above. It's still there, showing an owner of Roberta Bailey.
1937 - The Ford-Aquino Duplex at 2430 Leavenworth, San Francisco CA. Owned through various entities by Michael Aquino. Last deeded in 2014 to Michael and Lilith Aquino.
1937 - The Darling
90 Woodland Avenue, San Francisco
1937 - The Edward
234 Hilgard Avenue,
Los Angeles CA. Sold to Rita Kogan.
1937 - The Grace Lewis Miller House, aka the Mensendieck House, 2311 North Indian Canyon Drive, Palm Springs CA. This was the first Modernist house in Palm Springs, according to The Palm Springs Modern Committee. After Miller left Palm Springs in 1943, she rented to military friends stationed in town. When she returned, the house had fallen into such disrepair she closed up the house and left town. It was listed for sale in 1947 but did not sell until 1950, when she sold to Charlie Farrell. He rented it to various tenants and in 1959 converted the garage into a second rental apartment. Farrell sold it to a family who did awful alterations to break up the space into smaller spaces. In 1999, Hal Meltzer bought the house initially to restore but flipped a year later. Sold in 2000 to Catherine Meyler whose first problem was keeping out the crack addicts who seemed to have taken up temporary residence.
Meyler's restoration efforts included replacing the roof; re-piping and re-plumbing; replacing the electrical system; reframing the living room and garage; installing new insulation in all walls and ceilings; replacing window glass; refinishing the concrete floor; and adding a six-foot wall around the property. She also had a new HVAC system designed to fit seamlessly into the existing structure and commissioned craftsmen to recreate the original built-in furniture in the living room/studio and master bedroom. She spoke about it in 2004.
Meyler also put in a guest house addition, designed by Neutra in 1938 but never built. Meyler had the original plans and it was constructed with little modification. As she reports, the guest house "stands in the exact spot it was designed for and is enjoyed enormously by friends who previously only had day beds as an option for overnight stays." Interior color photos by Raymond Neutra.
1937 - The George Kraigher House I, aka the Brownsville House, 525 Paredes Line Road, Brownsville TX, the state's first Modernist residence. Kraigher was making a landing at the Los Angeles Airport and he saw a radical design off of the runway, according to Gene Fernandez of the Brownsville Historical Association. He contacted Neutra and asked to build one in Brownsville.
Kraigher left for WWII and did not return to Brownsville until after the war. He sold the house in 1946. In the 1950s Neutra designed a second house near Litchfield CT where Kraigher lived until his death in 1984.
As of 1998, the Brownsville house had been empty for 20 years and was covered in graffiti. In 1999, it was purchased by the City Of Brownsville. In 2005, the City leased it for 99 years to the University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College, who did a complete restoration (bottom photo). As of April 2012, maintenance funding was in question as TSC and UT-Brownsville ended their partnership. A nonprofit called Neutra Cultural Center in 2014 signed a three-year lease with the City of Brownsville to teach architecture, design, visual arts and culture to low- and moderate-income children. In early 2015, the AC units were stolen.
1937 - The David Malcolmson Guest House, 491 Mesa Road, Santa Monica CA. Designed with Peter Pfisterer. Published in Architectural Forum, April 1937. Sold to Marjorie Stimmel Forrey. Deeded to Anne Forrey Brody. Deeded in 2013 to a Brody family trust.
1937 - The Arthur and
Mona Hofmann House,
1048 La Cuesta
1937 - The Frank and Kathryn Davis House, 2914 West 21st Street, Bakersfield CA. Sold to Frank A. Ghezzi Family Trust. Sold in 2003 to David Coffey. Photos by David Coffey.
1937 - The Strathmore Apartments, 11005-11009 Strathmore Drive, Los Angeles CA. The original owner commissioned Neutra to design a four-unit building. Over the years a number of distinguished people rented here, including Charles and Ray Eames who lived in one of the top apartments until they built their own famous place in Santa Monica. Orson Welles, Rita Hayworth, Louise Reiner were also tenants here. The northern set of 4 are condos while the southern set are still rentals. Interior photos by Raymond Neutra.
Around 1937 - A 20th Century Home for the Harnischfeger Corporation, Houses Division, Milwaukee WI. Featured in Architectural Forum, February 1937. Designed with Peter Pfisterer. Unsure if built. Needs verification.
1938 - The John Nicholas Brown and Anne Brown Residence, aka the Windshield House, Fisher's Island, New York. Designed with Peter Pfisterer. As Neutra's only house on the East Coast at the time, it was severely damaged by a hurricane only weeks after completion. The Browns rebuilt the house and lived there until 1959. Was sold. Destroyed by fire in 1975.
1938 - The Leon and Helen Barsha Residence, now located at 302 Mesa Road, Pacific Palisades area of Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1937. Saved from destruction by the Hollywood Freeway expansion with its relocation to Santa Monica Canyon. As of 2005, owned by Anne Elizabeth Jones Vadja. Sold in 2008 to Scott Lander who did a restoration. Available for rent as of 2012.
1938 - The William Schiff/Ernst Wolfes Duplex, aka the Ilse Schiff Duplex, aka the Schiff-Overway House, 2056-2058 Jefferson Street, in the Marina District of San Francisco. Built for two doctors, William Schiff and Ernest Wolfes. Schiff's wife Ilse Schiff made a number of trendy changes in the building towards the end of her life. Architect Chad Overway, still owner as of 2014, purchased the building from Schiff in 1993 and undid many of those changes. Color photos by Thomas Story and Mark Darley.
1939 - The James Ward and Harry Berger House, aka the Ward-Berger House, 3156 Lake Hollywood Drive, Los Angeles CA. As of 2007, the owners were Samuel E. Robertson, D. Janet, and Benjamin D. Robertson.
1939 - The Harrison (Harry) McIntosh House, 1317 Maltman Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Sold in 1992 to actress Ann Magnuson. She married Neutra expert John Bertram, principal of Bertram Architects, shown in bottom photo by Christine House.
1939 - The Jacqueline Johnson House, aka the Neutra House, aka House for a Poet, 183 Hillview Avenue, one of three originally at 180/182/184 Marvin Avenue, Los Altos CA. In 1935, Neutra started the design for Jacqueline Johnson who owned two, and Clayton Stafford. At 750 square feet, this house was moved to Los Altos City-owned land in November 2005 and is now a community center. Photos by Raymond Neutra.
1939 - The Philip Gill House, 542 Suncourt Terrace, Glendale CA. Deeded to Gerard H. Gill. Sold in 1997 to Frank M. and Tracey Lentz III. Restored at some point. Top two photos by Raymond Neutra.
1939 - The Alvin Eurich House, 13081 West Sunset Drive, Los Altos CA. Sold to Jan Howard. Sold in 2012 to Jan and Orion Howard. Photos by Raymond Neutra.
1939 - The Scioberetti House, 35 Alamo Avenue, Berkeley CA. Sold to Diana K. Bordner. Sold around 1998 to Jean Paul Bourdier and Trinh T. Minh Ha.
1940 - The Sidney Kahn House, 66-70 Calhoun Terrace, San Francisco CA. Commissioned 1938. Sold in 1989 to Joseph Devalle Jr. Sold in 2009 to David Davies and John D. Weeden. Sold in 2012 to a trust controlled by John D. Weeden. Bottom photo by Raymond Neutra.
1940 - The William (Bill) and Alice Davey House, located on Jack's Peak, 522 Loma Alta Road, Carmel CA. Commissioned in 1939. The Daveys separated shortly after completion and sold it (ad above) to Lawrence and Anne Blinks. A studio building was added around 1979 (second photo from bottom). Sold in 1995 to Peterson Conway whose remodels and additions removed much of the oringal Neutra design, including replacing the flat roof with a shed roof, adding on to the front of the house, and adding a connector building (lilac rooftop) between the garage and the studio (bottom photo). Sold to his son, Petersen Conway Jr. Most photos provided by the Blinks' granddaughter, Sally Shapiro.
1940 - The Matilda Sweet House, 541 Suncourt Terrace, Glendale CA. Sold to CR and Vivienne Dunham. Sold in 1993 to Dorothy Roush. Sold to Victoria M. Pinkham. Sold in 2012 to a Pinkham family trust.
1940 - The Jan De Graaff House, 1900 SW Palatine Hill Road, Portland OR. Designed with Van Evera Bailey. Extensively renovated, such that most of Neutra's design is unrecognizable. Sold in 2003 to Andy and Laura Ford.
1940 - The William H. De Graaff House, 6308 Southeast 28th Avenue, Portland OR. Also extensively renovated, such that most of Neutra's design is completely unrecognizable (bottom photo). Sold to Brian and Maureen Unruh. Sold in 2010 to Richard and Susan Hildreth.
1940 - The Frieda Hauswirth House, 11 El Portal Court, Berkeley CA. Sold to Angela T Boryczka. Sold in 2008 to Carolyn and Reva Walker.
1940 - The Mildred and Grant Beckstrand House, 1400 Via Montemar, Palos Verdes Estates, CA. Renovated in 1978. Sold in 1995 to second owner David Goldhammer. Bottom two photos by Raymond Neutra.
1941 - The Bonnet House, 2256 El Contento Drive, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1938. Sold to David Hay in 1989 who did a renovation. According to Hay, "previous owners had painted the exterior pink, then white. The living room's wood paneling had been painted, the closet doors replaced with sliding mirrored versions. And a new bathroom mirror featured a distinctly un-Modernist light fixture. The hardwood floors had been pickled white and further desecrated by an indoor plant, which had left an ugly stain." Sold in 2003 to Jonathan P. Anastas. Interior design renovation by Woodson & Rummerfield's House of Design.
1941 - The Charles and Sybil Maxwell House, 475 North Bowling Green Way, Los Angeles CA. Neutra did an addition in 1959. Sold in 2002 to Jeffrey and Karen Brandlin -- who threatened demolition in 2003. Sold to developer Barbara Behm, aka Princess Blovana, in 2004 and moved (middle photo) in 2008 to a new site in Angelino Heights, Los Angeles CA. Photos by Brian Thomas Jones.
1942 - The John Nesbitt House, 414 Avondale Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Won a Distinguished Honor Award from the Southern California AIA in January 1947. Sold in 1992 to Phillippa Scott. Top photo by Edward Van Altena. B/W photos by Julius Shulman. Bottom color photos by Annie Wells and Raymond Neutra. Restored by designer Barbara Barry and architect David Serrurier. Sold in 2014 to James and Dana Jacobsen.
1942 - The Channel Heights Housing Project, North Western Avenue and West Capitol Drive, San Pedro CA. Designed with Lewis E. Wilson as low-cost housing for shipyard workers. 600 units on 160 acres. Won an Honor Award from the Southern California Chapter of the AIA in January 1947. Destroyed. Neutra designed the Boomerang Chair for these houses, shown in the bottom photo by Julius Shulman.
1942 - The Geza Rethy House, 2101 Santa Anita Avenue, Sierra Madre CA. As of 2007, owned by John Scheliga. Featured in Arts and Architecture Magazine, March 1947. Color photos by Raymond Neutra.
1942 - The Branch House, 7716 Firenze Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Has been altered beyond recognition from Neutra's design. Sold to Jesse Beaton and Carl M. Franklin. Three bedrooms, 3356 square feet.
1942 - The VDLA Pavilion House, 2353 Edgewater Terrace, Los Angeles CA. Sold to Stanley G. Hubert. Sold in 2001 to Shinazia LLC.
1942 - The Kelton Apartments, 646-648 Kelton Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Five apartments in two buildings. BW photo by Ezra Stoller/ESTO. 2nd photo by Raymond Neutra, 3 to 5 by Andrea Minton.
1942 - The Progressive Builders Homes, Denny Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Built for defense worker housing near the Lockheed aircraft factory, these modest homes were originally around 1000 sf and 2-3 bedrooms. SFValleyBlog found 14 homes, listed above.
1943 - The Howard C. Bald House, 917 McAndrew Road, Ojai CA. Commissioned 1941. Sold to a second owner around 1981 who made a few changes. Sold around 1985 to Sidney and Susan Baldwin (Baldwin Family Trust). Photographer Julius Shulman gave them his old photos so they could restore the house properly. According to Sidney Baldwin, "Mr. Shulman told us that Neutra stood with him and told him exactly how to frame the shots. It has been a dream to live here." Third photo by Sidney Baldwin. Interior shots by Raymond Neutra.
Around 1944 - The Four Courter House for Tomorrow. Designed with Dion Neutra to incorporate the needs of both adults and children in the same house. Unbuilt. Source: Pencil Points (May 1944), the former name for Progressive Architecture magazine.
1945 - Case Study House #6, aka the Omega House, Lasheart Drive, La Canada Flintridge CA. Unbuilt.
1946 - The Schmidt House, 1460 Chamberlain Road, Pasadena CA. Sold to Mike and Ricki Harpster. As of 2007, a rental house owned by the Robert Deblasis and Pizzo family trusts.
1946 - The Edgar and Liliane Kaufmann Desert House, 470 West Vista Chino Road, Palm Springs, CA. Designed for the same family that owned Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater in Pennsylvania. When Edgar Kaufmann died in 1955, the house was vacant for a number of years then sold to Francis C. Park, who sold it in 1962 to art dealer Joseph and Nelda Linsk. Nelda Linsk hired architect William F. Cody to add about 2200 sf of interior space by converting a patio into a media room; a wall was removed so the newly enclosed space could open into the original living room; additional air conditioning was placed on the roof. Furnishings selected by Neutra were replaced by interior designer and Lautner house owner Arthur Elrod. Sold in 1968 to Eugene and Francis Klein. Sold in 1973 to Barry Manilow who did a number of unfortunate renovations.
Sold to Brent and Beth Edwards Harris in 1993. Marmol Radziner did a well-publicized and immaculate 1995 restoration. Chris Shanley was the project architect. Featured in the movie Visual Acoustics. Deeded in 2009 to Brent Harris.
1946 - The Case Study House #13, aka the Alpha House, Lasheart Drive, La Canada Flintridge CA. This specific design was never built, but see the Wilkins House below.
1946 - The Stuart Bailey House, aka Case Study House #20, 219 Chautauqua Boulevard, Pacific Palisades area of Los Angeles CA. Sold to Stuart G. Bailey. Leo Marmol worked on a renovation of the Bailey House in 2003. Sold in 2005 to Samuel Simon. Often confused with the 1958 Case Study House, aka the Bass House, 2275 Santa Rosa Avenue, Altadena CA, designed by Buff Straub and Hensman.
1947 - The Joseph Sinay House, 1861 North Heather Court, Beverly Hills CA. Sold to Linda and Morris Halfon. Won first prize in House+Garden's Architectural Awards in 1947. Sold in 2001 to Mark Haddawy and Kathleen Rodriguez who still owned it as of 2014. Named in 2008 as a Los Angeles Historic Cultural Landmark.
1948 - The David
2250 Silver Lake Boulevard,
Los Angeles CA.
1948 - The Goodson House, 8310 Grand View Drive, Laurel Canyon area of Los Angeles CA.
Sold to Jack F. and Nancy Sanders. Destroyed in a 1979 fire.
1948 - The Van Cleef House, 651 Warner Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1942. Sold to Howard and Barbara K. Katzman. Sold in 2004 to Kevin Crotty and Phyllis Alia. Sold in 2009 to Sanjeev Narayan and Prabhu Smrithi.
- Cooperative Apartments near Sierra Nevada Mountains in Southern CA.
1948 - The Holiday House Motel and Restaurant, 27400 Pacific Coast Highway #101, Malibu CA. Built by director Dudley Murphy, it opened in 1948 and catered to stars including Frank Sinatra, Lana Turner and Marilyn Monroe. Featured in Arts and Architecture Magazine, September 1948. Dion Neutra added 12 apartment units in 1954. The restaurant became Geoffrey's in 1983, which continues today, and its stunning ocean views make for memorable meals. The upper floors have been converted to private condos.
1948 - The Louis Kievman Apartments, aka the ElKay Apartments, 638-642 Kelton Avenue, Los Angeles CA. ElKay is derived from his initials. Despite objections from the owner, in 1988 the City of Los Angeles designated the building a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument. Neutra's 1941 Kelton Apartments are next door. Deeded to Kievman's daughter Karen Bruderlin. Bottom two photos by Andrea Minton.
1948 - The Sokol
2242 East Silver Lake Boulevard, Los
1948 - The Warren D. and Katharine Tremaine House, 1636 Moore Road, Montecito area of Santa Barbara CA. The lot was subdivided years ago and this house was renumbered to 1642. What now stands on 1636 Moore Road is another interesting Modernist house designed by Donald Hensman. The Tremaines divorced in the laste 1960's and the house was eventually sold. First two B/W photos by Ezra Stoller/ESTO. Last B/W photo by Julius Shulman.
1949 - The Gordon Wilkins House, 528 South Hermosa Place, South Pasadena, CA. Sold in 2000 to Stacey and Jeff Mann who did a restoration. Almost a carbon copy of Case Study House #13, as discovered by Barbara Lamprecht in 2004.
1949 - The Betty Rourke House, 9228 Hazen Drive, Beverly Hills CA. As of 2007, owned by Adam and Melanie Levin.
1949 - The Alpha Wirin House, 2622 Glendower Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Across the street from Frank Lloyd Wright's Ennis-Brown House. Was headed for a teardown in 2004 when sold to Mark Seliger and restored by architect Sharon Johnston-Lee. Sold in 2014 to Alberto Chehebar. Bottom two photos by Raymond Neutra.
1949 - The Chase
4254 Cresta Avenue, Santa Barbara,
1949 - The Coe
7 Cinchring Road, Rolling Hills CA.
1949 - The Joseph Tuta House, 1800 Via Visalia, Palos Verdes Estates CA. 2.7 acres. In the late 1970's, it was destroyed by Gloria Marshall (of figure salon fame) who built the massive home, bottom photo. Top photo by Jane Haylor.
1949 - The Atwell House, 1411 Atwell Road, El Cerrito CA. Color photo by Raymond Neutra, 2002. Sold in 2003 to Ben Galick and Nancy Woodruff.
1949 - The Benedict and Nancy Freedman House, 315 Via De La Paz, Pacific Palisades area of Los Angeles CA. They are the authors of the novel, Mrs. Mike. Expanded several times. Architect Peter Grueneisen did renovations for two different subsequent owners. The first, 1995 to 1999, centered on the landscape/hardscape. The second phase, from 1999 to 2002, involved significant renovation of the first-floor master bathroom and kitchen and the addition of a second story containing two bedrooms, a bath, and a sitting area.
1949 - The Hines
760 Via Somonte, Palos Verdes Estates
1949 - The Greenberg House, 10525 Garwood Place, Los Angeles CA. Since 1989, the owner has been Philip N. Colman or his family trust. Bottom photos by Andrea Minton.
1949 - The Reunion
2440 Earl Street, aka 2440 Neutra
Place, Los Angeles CA.
1950 - The Nick Helburn House, Sourdough Road, Bozeman MT. 2500 square feet. Sold to Steve and Cindy Kleimer, who rent it out.
1950 - The Alexander Meltzer House, 1508 Murray Drive, Los Angeles CA. Sold to Charles Milhaupt. Sold in 1994 to Alan Lindgren. Deeded since then to various Lindgren trusts. Restored by designer Daniel Sachs. Large photo by Andrea Minton.
1950 - The Josef Kun House II, 7947 Fareholm Drive, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1938. Original landscape design by landscape architects, Lockwood de Forest and Ralph Stephens. In 1997, a landslide lead to the failure of one slope. As of 2007, the owners were Christopher J. Hacker and William F. Thomas. Bottom photo is of the Kun House I (left) and II (right). New landscaping design by Lisa Gimmy.
1950 - The Grant and
Mildred B. Beckstrand Lodge, Drycreek Ranch, Meadow UT.
1950 - The Hees
250 Trino Way, Pacific Palisades
CA. Sold at least once.
1950 - The William O'Brien House, 4740 Richmond Avenue, Shreveport LA. Frank Lloyd Wright was originally hired but proved too difficult for the clients. This is the only Neutra house in Louisiana. Won an AIA National Award of Merit in 1952. Sold to Wesley Glassell for about 20 years, who did a series of renovations. After Glassell moved out, it sat five years empty. Sold in 2000 to Steve N. and Diann London who built an addition designed by Charles Kellogg and Neutra's son, architect Dion Neutra. For sale 2013-2015.
1950 - The Sanders
868 Via Del Monte, Palos Verdes
1950 - The Samuel
6400 Drexel Avenue, Los
1951 - The Milton Goldman Residence, 3970 Archdale Road, Encino CA. Sold to Aileen and Robert Coulter. Greatly expanded and updated in 2001 by architect Roberta Weiser. Sold in 2006 to Steven and Melissa Bochco. Has appeared in several films including Superman 4.
1951 - The Everist
House, aka the Herbert House,
400 West 45th
Street, Sioux City IA.
1951 - The Hinds
3940-41 San Rafael Avenue, Los
Angeles CA. Commissioned 1947.
1951 - The Nelson House, 511 Miner Road, Orinda CA. Sold to James and Judith Fletcher. Sold in 2001 to Timothy and Syndi Master.
1951 - The Fischer House, 1618 Pine Crest Road, Spokane WA. Sold in 2007 to John Maurice and Jose Conceicao.
1951 - The Hunter House, 2311 Bancroft Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Sold in 1999 to Susan and Elisa Johnson.
1951 - The Logar House, 17728 Ridgeway Road, Granada Hills CA. Sold around 1966 to someone who did not occupy it. Sold in 1970 to Juanita and Gage Wilson. Sold in 2010 to Farshad Asl and Mina Ghaemmaghami.
1951 - The Brod House, 1203 North Oakwood Drive, Arcadia CA. Sold to Lawrence C. Papp.
1951 - The Gloria and
Donald L. Heryford House,
3444 Bonnie Hill
Drive, Los Angeles CA.
1951 - The Arthur James Mosby and Ruth Mosby House, 103 West Artemos Drive, Missoula MT. After Mosby's death in 1970, it was donated to the University of Montana for a President's residence. Sold by the University in 2010. Photos by Philip Maechling. Available for rental.
1952 - The Mrs. Weston House, 3220 Durand Drive, Los Angeles CA. She was a schoolteacher who wanted an inexpensive Modernist house. Sold in 1999 to Niels Ostergard.
1952 - The Maurice L. Heller House, 811 North Camden Drive, Beverly Hills CA. A U-shaped house. B/W photos by Julius Shulman. Destroyed and replaced, bottom photo.
1952 - The Richard A. Matlock House, 1560 Ramillo Avenue, Long Beach CA. The eight-room house plus three-car garage is of wood frame and stucco construction. Building regulations dictated the use of pitched roofs. Built by the Matlocks after they had seen the Neutra house of Dr. Grant Beckstrand. The house was purchased in 1968 by the Matlocks' daughter and her husband, John A. Masterson.
1952 - The Frederick and Mary Jane Auerbacher Lodge, 31483 Pleasant Drive, Running Springs CA. Sold in 1990. Sold in 2002 to John C. Berley and Sian Winship.
1952 - The John Miller House, 941 Arlington Blvd., El Cerrito CA. Sold to Thomas and Megan Bennett. Sold in 1999 to June Peterson and Michael Simcich.
1952 - The Marshall
5303 Linea Del Cielo, Rancho Santa Fe
1952 - The I .B. Van Sicklen House, 6009 Mimulus Road, Rancho Santa Fe CA. Has been greatly expanded.
1952 - The McElvain House, 6323 Lindley Avenue, Reseda area of Los Angeles CA. Has been significantlly altered (right photo). Sold to Wilfram and Renate Berger.
1953 - The Kramer House, 108 West 8th Street, Corona (Norco) CA.
1953 - The Governor's House, Agana, Guam. Designed with Robert E. Alexander. Commissioned 1951. Major reconstruction followed the destruction wrought by Super Typhoon Pamela in 1976.
1953 - The Price House, 255 South Gillette, Bayport NY. BW photos by Ezra Stoller/ESTO. Has been greatly altered, bottom photo. Sold in 1998 to Lawrence and Faith Bernard.
1953 - The Kesler
1367 Monument Street, Pacific
1953 - The Elliot
7125 Connelly Boulevard, Bedford OH.
1953 - The Ray Moore House, 2507 Valley Drive, Manhattan Beach CA.
1953 - The Schaarman House, 7850 Torreyson Drive, Los Angeles CA. Sold in 1993 to Jeffery B. Gorman and the Liebert Family Trust. Tom Cruise tried to buy it several times.
1953 - The Frederick and Mary Jane Auerbacher House, 121 Sierra Vista Drive, Redlands CA. Commissioned 1951. Neutra created furniture, including a coffee table and living room chairs, that are still in place (along witih the original owners) nearly 60 years later. Most of the north walls are glass. Put on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012.
1953 - The Olin G. and Aida Hafley House, 5561 East La Pasada Street, Long Beach CA. Designed by Neutra at the same time as the Moore house next door. For sale for the first time in 2010. Put on the National Register July 12, 2011. Sold to 5561 Las Paseda Street LLC.
1953 - The Bethuel and Doris Moore House, 5551 La Pasada Street, Long Beach CA. In 1968, following the death of Mr. Moore by a heart attack, the home was purchased by Dr. Evelyn Blackman, a sociology professor at California State University, Long Beach. The home was sold in 1971 to Terry and Janice Atzen. In 1981, the house was refurbished. With the exception of the peninsula counter dividing the kitchen from the living room, there were no significant architectural changes.
1953 - The James and Orline Moore House, 512 North Foothill Road, Ojai CA. Received a national AIA First Honor Award in 1954. The Moores were disciples of Krishnamurti, a spiritual leader based in Ojai. Located on 40 acres. Commissioned 1950. Sold to a second owner. Sold in 1987 to Hugh and Joyce Syme.
1953 - The Hall House, 900 West Bay Avenue, Newport Beach CA. Designed with Robert E. Alexander. Destroyed and replaced with a much larger house, bottom photo.
1954 - The Young House, 5355 Shirley Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Destroyed. New huge house, above, was built there in 2001. Do you have a photo of the original house?
1954 - The Mountain Home AFB Housing, aka Capehart-Wherry, designed with Robert E. Alexander. They designed 270 Capehart units, but more than 770 units were built during the first phases at MHAFB. In all, nearly 250,000 units were built for the military nationwide. However, Lemoore Naval Station CA and MHAFB were the only installations that Neutra and Alexander received housing design commissions. In 1959, MHAFB won the best new housing award.
1954 - The Hammerman House, 201 Bentley Circle, Los Angeles CA. Sold in 2003 by the Hammerman heirs to Adele and Gordon Binder. Sold in 2005 to Thomas and Kathy Mendoza. Was on the market in 2006.
1955 - The Constance (Connie) Perkins House, 1540 Poppy Peak Drive, Pasadena CA. Perkins died in March 1991 and left the house to the Huntington Library and Art Gallery. Sold in 2004 to John Mack Faragher and Michele Hoffnung. Bottom two photos by Raymond Neutra. Second photo by Julius Shulman.
1955 - The Brown-Sidney House, 10801 Chalon Road, Los Angeles CA. Sold in 2000 to fashion mogul Tom Ford (second photo, left). Sold 18 days later to Ten 801 Chalon Road Holding Trust, controlled by Ford. Restored by Marmol-Radziner (principal Ron Radziner, standing, next to Ford lying down). Chris Shanley and John Bertram were design associates. Brad Dunning assisted with the interiors.
1955 - The Corwin Hansch House, 4070 Olive Knoll Place, Claremont CA. The street was formerly called Via Padova. Bottom photo by Raymond Neutra.
1955 - The Cohen House #1, 8805 Cheltenham Avenue, Springfield PA. Sold in 2012 to Daniel Peterson and Katherine Hawkins.
1955 - The Henry
and Betty L. Corwin House,
Lane, Weston CT.
1955 - The J. M. Roberts House, 621 Wrede Way, former address 539 South Grand Avenue, West Covina CA. Sold in 2014 to W Squared Partners LLC. Bottom two photos by Raymond Neutra. Being remodeled as of 2015.
1955 - The Weihe
25 Sweetbay Road, Rancho Palos Verde
1955 - The Herbert Kronish House, 9439 Sunset Boulevard, Beverly Hills CA. Kronish bought the property from actress Shirley Temple. At 6891 sf, it was one of Neutra's largest. Two acres. Six bedrooms. At one time it was owned by industrialist/philanthropist Norton Simon and actress Jennifer Jones. The kitchen (last photo) was renovated - poorly, says son Dion Neutra. Sold in 1999 to Massoud Yashouafar. Foreclosed in January 2011 and sold to Soda Partners LLC for about $6M, according to Blockshopper LA. Saved from demolition; sold in October 2011 for $12.8M to Hestia Properties LLC controlled by Stavros Niarchos III, young Greek shipping tycoon. Color photos by Michal Cherwonka.
1955 - The George and Dorothy Serulnic House, 3947 Markridge Road, La Crescenta CA. Dorothy Serulnic was Neutra's secretary. Fordyce S. Marsh was the builder. Featured as an Architectural Record house in 1956. Sold in 1998 to Lari Pittman and Roy Dowell. In 2009, they turned the Serulnic house into a guest house and built a new main dwelling, bottom photo, designed by Michael Maltzan. For sale in 2014.
1956 - The Slavin House, 1322 Dover Road, Santa Barbara CA. Sold in 2002 to Levine Family Trust.
1956 - The Sidney R. and Arilla Troxell House, 766 Paseo Miramar, Pacific Palisades CA. Sold in 2003 to architect Charles Scott Hughes who renovated and expanded it in 2005. Interiors by Brad Dunning. Sold around 2005 to Hikaru Utada and Kazuhiro Iwashita. Sold in 2013. Bottom three photos by Brad Dunning. The house features a reflecting pool, glass walls, birch doors, radiant-heat pipes under the concrete floors, recessed lighting, and a catwalk outside the master bedroom to make it easier to clean the windows.
1956 - The Alfred de Schulthess House, 19A #15012, Cubanacan Playa, Havana, Cuba. 9350 square feet. Raul Alvarez worked as supervising architect; Benno Fischer, Serge Koschin, John Blanton all worked on the architectural design. Brazilian landscape architect Roberto Burle Marx collaborated on the landscape design of the three-acre property. Now a diplomatic residence for the Swiss Ambassador to Cuba. Received the 1958 National College of Architects Gold Medal. Color photos by Patrick Denker, except for last two by Raymond Neutra.
1956 - The Staller House (aka the Levinsohn House), 901 Bel Air Road, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1955. Sold to Gary Levinsohn in 1998. Restored by Lorcan O'Herlihy in 2001. Over 6000 sf. Features a 4200-bottle wine cellar. Was for sale 2011-2013 then taken off the market. Bottom photo by Roger Straus III/ESTO.
1956 - The Schwind House, 1430 Carlton Road, Hillsborough CA. Photos by Raymond Neutra.
1956 - The Adler House, 1438 North Kenter Avenue, Los Angeles CA. Has been renovated.
1956 - The Artega House, 12960 Gladstone Way, Lake View Terraces, near Fernando CA. The Neutra house is on the right. There is a second house on the same lot, left. Deeded in 1999 from Joseph Artega to Michael Artega.
1956 - The Gillen House, 4411 Quail Canyon Road, formerly 7 Quail Canyon Road, San Bernardino CA. Sold to Mary Lou White.
1956 - The Philip and Jean Livingston House, 1718 Minnekahda Road, Chattanooga TN. Because of Neutra's busy schedule, the Livingstons hired family friend and local architect Mary Lou Droston to help oversee construction. The contractor was Creed W. Maynard, a patient of Philip Livingston. Sold to their daughter, Ann Raines. Most photos by Steve Arnaudin, 1990.
1956 - The Frank and Betty Miller House, 109 South Whitehall Road, Norristown PA. As of 2001 owned by Jerold and Margaret Hill.
1956 - The Louis Nash House, 35 Marine View Drive, Camarillo CA. Sold in 2003 to Michael and Elayne A Harbert. Sold to Scott McBryde. Sold in 2013 to Kurt and Stephanie Zierhut.
1956 - The Cohen House #2, 27360 Escondido Beach Road, Malibu CA. Sold in 1998 to Daniel Alberstone and Lisa Ogawa. Has been a rental house for several years.
1957 - The Gene Field House, 4341 Lanai Road, Encino CA. The owners got tired of modern and destroyed the house, building another house in its place, above photo.
1957 - The Maury Sorrells House, Old CA-127, Shoshone CA. Featured in Architectural Record, March 1960. Engineering by Eugene D. Birnbaum. Built by Robert A. Waymire. As of 2001, it was owned by Susan E. Sorrells, the daughter of the original owners. Interior color photos by Raymond Neutra. B/W photos by Julius Shulman.
1957 - The Edward J. Flavin House, 2218 Neutra Place, Los Angeles CA. Part of a grouping of ten houses known as the Neutra Colony. The Flavins tried to buy Neutra's Meltzer House and Sokol House. Not succeeding, they hired Neutra to do their own custom design. Sold to Natt Leipzig and Lynn Whitney. Sold in 2001 to Brock and Martha Houghton. Sold later in 2001 to Dana Balkin and George Grandchamp.
1957 - The John P. and DeVee Clark House,
1780 Devon Road, Pasadena CA.
1957 - The Yew House,
2226 Silver Lake
Boulevard, Los Angeles CA.
1957 - The Wise House, 1371 Paseo del Mar, San Pedro area of Los Angeles CA. Sold in 2001 by Gaylord Carter to Tiberio P. Lizza. Sold in 2003 to Maureen and Stanley Bradford.
1958 - The Cole-Perkins House,
1362 Kashlan Road, La Habra Heights CA.
1958 - The Jack and Annette Friedland
1020 North Lane, Gladwyne PA.
1958 - The Hailey House,
3319 Tareco Drive, Los Angeles CA.
1958 - The Mary Helen Kilbury House, 920 Via Nogales, Palos Verdes Estates CA. Commissioned 1956. Renovations in 1961. Sold for the first time in 2014 to William and Celeste Hughes.
1958 - The Sue Oxley Residence, 2680 Greentree Lane, La Jolla CA. Original address was 9302 La Jolla Farms Road. Previous owners moved it to the edge of a large lot and then built a new large house in the middle. Sold to Thomas Masserat who did a restoration. Bottom photo by Julius Shulman. Sold in 2012 to Simon D. and Elizabeth Pritscher-Lewis.
1958 - The Robert and Josephine Chuey
2460 Sunset Plaza Drive, Los Angeles
1958 - The Hassrick House (sometimes incorrectly listed as Hasserick), 3033 Cherry Lane, formerly called 3033 West School House Road, Philadelphia PA. 4800 sf. Sold to John Hauser who purchased the house out of foreclosure around 2008 and spent two years in renovations. According to Hauser, the addition, a peaked roof room with the planter and tiled floor, bottom photo, is not by Neutra.
1958 - The Huebsch House,
320 de la Fuente, Monterey Park CA.
1958 - The Hughes House, 1560 Oriole Lane, Los Angeles CA. Sold in 2008 to Burt Levitch.
1958 - The Millard Kaufman Addition, 3574 Multiview Drive, Los Angeles CA. Kaufmann was a screenwriter who invented the character Mr. Magoo. Landscaping by Garrett Eckbo. Sold in 2002 to Michael La Fetra. Sold in 2004 to Van Scott Jones and Thierry Marchand. Sold in 2007 to Thierry Marchand. Sold in 2014 to Harrison and Laura Gray. For sale again in late 2014.
1958 - The George Kraigher House II, formerly Bethlehem Road, Litchfield CT. Correspondence between Neutra and Kraigher reveals this is now Route 63, Morris CT. Julius Shulman photographed the house in the summer of 1958. As of 2013 under restoration by designer Paul Worthington, who provided the above photo.
1958 - The Robert and Marjorie Rados House, 2209 West Daladier Drive, Rancho Palos Verdes CA. Still controlled by the family as of 2009.
1958 - The Albert M. and Patricia Leddy House, 2501 Dracena Street, Bakersfield CA. Still owned by the Leddys as of 2013. According to Patricia Leddy, construction was a group effort between her husband, an attorney, and his attorney friends working on the weekend like an old-fashioned barnraising. They had to build it themselves as no bank would lend money for this Modernist design. Color photos by Raymond Neutra.
1958 - The Arthur (Art) L. and Kathleen Connell House, 1170 Signal Hill Road, Pebble Beach CA. 4124 sf on 2.13 acres. Sold in 1985 to Clifford and Patricia Mettler. Sold in 2004 to Massy Mehdipour, software CEO in Palo Alto CA, who rented it out. She transferred the property in March 2010 to a personal trust then to a wholly-owned limited liability corporation, Signal Hill LLC. Plans were submitted in June 2010 to Monterey County for destruction of the house and replacement with a new three-level 15,740 square foot house designed by Bernstein Zubieta Architects of Venice CA. The plan has since been changed to around 12,000 sf.
The parcel number is 008-261-007-000 and the public documents are here. The approval process is roughly halfway, with several more opportunities for public comment and participation before any permits are issued. Photos by Tony Kirk. Additional photos by Neutra's son, Raymond, from January 2012.
1959 - The June and Hitoshi Ohara House, 2210 Neutra Place, Los Angeles CA. Sold to Patricia Marie Moritz. Sold in 2003 to Christopher J. Bonura. Sold in 2003 to David Netto. One of the locations for the movie "The Holiday."
1959 - The Henry E. Singleton House, 15000 Mulholland Drive, Los Angeles CA. Sold in 2004 to Vidal and Rhonda (Ronnie) Sassoon. On the market for five years. Sold in 2013 to Francois Pinault.
1959 - The Ninneman House,
4218 Via Padova, Claremont CA.
1959 - The Dailey House, 953 Granvia Altamira, Palos Verdes Estates CA. Sold for the first time in 2008 to Charles A. Bennett, Jr. Restored by John Blanton who had worked with Neutra. Sold in 2013.
1961 - The David and Grace Poster
6847 Radford Avenue, Los Angeles CA.
1959 - The Larsen House, 5434 Jed Smith Road, Calabasas CA. Located in Hidden Hills. Sold to Castleman family. Sold in 1989 to Vicki Schankman.
1959 - The Loring House,
2456 Astral Drive, Los Angeles CA.
1959 - The Arthur F. McSorley
1248 La Peresa Drive, Thousand Oaks
1959 - The Richard F. Oyler House, 771 Thundercloud Lane, Lone Pine CA. Sold in thte late 1970's to art dealer Ruth Schaffner, heir to the Hart Schaffner and Marx company, who did a number of unfortunate modifications. Sold around 1994 to Mitch Glazer and Kelly Lynch who did a restoration. Incredible mountain views and a pool set into a giant boulder. Mike Dorsey, Oyler's grandson, made a documentary in 2012 called "The Oyler House." Oyler died a few months later, and his wife three days after that. Bottom two photos by Raymond Neutra.
1959 - The Daniel and Gertrude (Trudi) Pariser House, 27 Judith Street, Uniontown PA. This redwood and sandstone suburban house is two interlocking rectangles. Walls of different heights and textures separate public and private entrances. Renovated in 2013. Sold in 2014.
1959 - The Lloyd and Mildred
22 Summitt Drive, Dune Acres IN.
1959 - The Lew House, 1456 Sunset Plaza Drive, Los Angeles CA. Sold in 1999 to Caroline Stokely Chaffin. Renovated by architects Leo Marmol and Ron Radziner.
1960 - The Julian Bond House, now at 4449 Yerba Santa Drive, San Diego CA. Moved from its original location at 2680 Greentree Lane, La Jolla, San Diego CA. Sold to the Koutz Trust. Sold in 1999 to Susan Camiel. Sold in 2006 to Tamara Well.
1960 - The Kambara House, 2232 Silver Lake Boulevard, Los Angeles CA. Part of a grouping of ten houses known as the Neutra Colony. Still owned by the Kambara family.
1960 - The Bizzari House,
6070 Kenridge Drive, Cincinnati OH. Sold to
1960 - The David J. and Sarah Coveney House, 301 Hughes Road, Norristown PA near King of Prussia. Renovations in 1968 and 1977. The original house had three bedrooms and two baths. Neutra designed a bunk bed in one bedroom, as well as built-ins for the children and planned for the family to add more children. Thaddeus Longstreth, who collaborated with Neutra, supervised the Neutra-planned western extension of the house to accommodate two more bedrooms and another full bath. Longstreth included built-ins in the same style in the expansion. After Neutra's death, Longstreth supervised the design and installation of an artist studio for Sarah Coveney in 1976, bringing the total square footage to 3,217. Neutra designated a swimming pool which was never installed. Over 50+ years of ownership, the Coveneys were true curators of Neutra's extraordinary design, faithfully maintaining the house. Sold in 2013 to Nelson and Alison Tolentino.
1960 - The Bell House, 222 East Constance Avenue, Santa Barbara CA. Sold to John and Joy Kuntz.
1960 - The Glen House, 130 Brookhollow Lane, Stamford CT. Commissioned 1959. Sold to Eric C. Rota. Restored by architect Joeb Moore around 2010. Won an AIA CT 2011 Design Award. Bottom photo by Michael Biando.
1960 - The Quandt House, 13 Castle Rock Road, Lucerne Valley, CA.
1960 - The Robert D. Sale House, 1531 Tigertail Road, Los Angeles CA. As of 2011 still controlled by the Sale family.
1960 - The Thomas E. and Ellen Pickering House, 225 Via Genoa, Newport Beach CA. Has been significantly altered, bottom photo. As of 2012, the owners were Susan O'Neal and Stephen J. Kearney.
1960 - The BEWO-Bau GmbH Development I, Walldorf, Germany. Neutra's first housing development project in Europe after World War II, a dense estate of detached houses near Frankfurt Airport, later partly spoiled by subsequent alterations. Interior photos by Iwan Baan.
1961 - The Oberholtzer House, 27274 Eastvale Road, Rolling Hills CA. Has been expanded. Sold to Steven and Dana Traversal.
1961 - The Leo and Tillie
2249 Benedict Canyon Drive,
Beverly Hills CA.
1961 - The Levitt House,
1705 Summitridge Drive, Beverly Hills CA.
1961 - The Linn House, 7820 Mulholland Drive, Los Angeles CA. Sold to James B. Byrnes. Sold in 2012 to Clifford Watts. Up for historical status in LA in March of 2014.
1963 - The Maximilian (Milan) and Blanca Roven / Abraham Spiegel Houses, 900 and 910 North Alpine Drive, Beverly Hills CA. The Rovens (lower lot) and Abraham Spiegel (upper lot) engaged Neutra to design two 6000 sf+ houses starting in 1956. However, according to Neutra expert Barbara Lamprecht, several factors ranging from apparently uneasy client relations, questions about the legality of the subdivided lot, and Neutra's two bouts in the hospital, led to his losing the clients. In 1961, architect Benno Fischer, former project architect for Neutra, redesigned the project based in part on Neutra's original layout. The Roven house has changed hands but is still there. The Spiegel House has been demolished.
1961 - The Carl List House,
679 Manhattan Road SE, Grand Rapids
1962 - The Akai House, 2200 Neutra Place, Los Angeles CA. Part of a grouping of ten houses known as the Neutra Colony. Sold to William L. and Susie Akai Fukuhara. Sold in 2008 to a Fukuhara family trust.
1962 - The Samuel and Luella Maslon House, 70900 Fairway Drive, Rancho Mirage CA. Located at the Thunderbird Country Club, formerly the Tamarisk Country Club, a gated community with no public access. For unknown reasons, Luella, who died in 2002, resisted placing the house on the National Register of Historic Places, or incorporating restrictions into its title. The Maslon heirs sold it to Richard J. Rotenberg in 2002 on the promise he would preserve it. Shortly thereafter, he demolished it (middle photos) touching off great controversy among historic preservationists in Southern California -- as the house was in pristine condition. The building was replaced by the house in the bottom photo, which Neutra's son Dion photographed in 2008.
1962 - The Gonzales-Gorrondona House, Avenida de la Linea 65 Sabana Grande, Caracas, Venezuela. Photos by Raymond Neutra.
1962 - The Hrabe House, 5851 Clear Valley Road, Hidden Hills, Calabasas CA. In 1980, it was added on and substantially altered from the original design. Sold to Donald and Margee Menell. Sold in 2005 to Bentley Max Richards.
1962 - The Taylor House, aka the Solomon House,
3816 Lockerbie Court, Glendale CA.
1962 - The Harold (Harry) Goldman House, 3417 Southern Hills Drive, Des Moines IA. In October 1961, construction crews unearthed a solid granite, 25-ton boulder near Second and School Streets. The enormous rock mass was the largest rock deposit of its kind ever seen this far south in Iowa (similar deposits have been found in the Marshalltown area). The boulder was a glacial deposit, having been brought down by the ice from someplace in Canada perhaps 200,000 years ago, well prior to Iowa's last glacier 25,000 to 30,000 years ago. In May of 1962, the huge rock was moved to the Goldman's lawn where it was made available to Drake University's geology classes for examination and study. Sold to son Thomas C. Goldman.
1962 - The Eugene and Rowene Erman House, 16535 Oldham Street, Encino CA. As of 2008, still owned by the Ermans.
1962 - The Robert L. Hendershot House,
2866 Westbrook Avenue, Los Angeles CA.
1962 - The Stone-Fisher Speculative Houses, 3631-3847 Oakfield Drive, Sherman Oaks area of Los Angeles CA. Color photos by Marissa Gluck. There are at least 12. Neutra designed the unique platform concept but had disagreements with the developers who changed details of Neutra's plans) and withdrew from the project. Architect William S. Beckett finished the houses and did at least one more similar house at 2231 Gloaming, Beverly Hills, completed in 1961.
1963 - The Stone-Fisher Speculative House, 2105 Trentham Road, Lake Sherwood CA near Thousand Oaks. Overlooks Lake Sherwood. Sold to Russell A. and Donna J. Goodman. Sold to the Goodman family trust.
1962 - The Feodor U. Pitcairn House, 2860 Paper Mill Road, Bryn Athyn area of Huntingdon Valley PA. Designed with Thaddeus Longstreth. Neutra added a "dependency building" to the property in 1966. For sale in 2014.
1962 - The Baldwin House,
6025 Lubao Avenue, Los Angeles CA.
1963 - The Hans Grelling House, aka Casa Tuja, Strada del Roccolo 11, Ascona, Switzerland. Commissioned 1961. Neutra oriented this two-story house to look out over Lake Maggiore above Ascona. On the upper floor, kitchens, closets, and maid's quarters line the west side, leaving the living room and master bedroom a panoramic view of the lake. Below, a garage, extra bedroom, and an added living space. Well-preserved.
1964 - The John L. and Pauline Kuhns House, 4359 Camello Road, Woodland Hills area of Los Angeles CA. Transferred to the Kuhns Estate, Laura Kuhns Moody, Trustee. Photos by Scott Moody.
1965 - The BEWO-Bau GmbH Development II, Quickborn, Germany. About 13 miles outside Hamburg. A dense estate of 67 detached houses; they have been better preserved than the first BEWO development of 1960. Der Spiegel on 26 August 1964 had an article about the development, which got off to a very difficult start - with only four homes sold 18 months into the development. The houses were expensive and did not sell well. Material and craftsmanship were outstanding, but instead of large representative homes situated on large lots for such an amount of money, Neutra demanded a new thinking from the purchasers, by offering smallish homes tightly packed together, 44 of them even attached, with small private gardens but blocked views. Spiegel wrote that Bewobau had totally overestimated Neutra as a magnet architect, and subsequently cancelled plans for another 422 houses. For the remaining homes, historic preservation status came through in 2005. As of 1994, 62 of the homes are supposedly kept in the Neutra-spirit, only five homes got major alterations. Interior color photos by Iwan Baan.
1966 - The Ebelin Bucerius House, aka Casa Navegna, Via Val Resa, Brione sopra Minusio, Switzerland. The landscape architect was Ernst Cramer. High above Lake Maggiore, House Bucerius has a breathtaking view exploited by Neutra to the fullest. This huge villa, which cost a small fortune to build, was the most elaborate ever erected by Neutra in Europe and is a milestone of his later work. It has been painstakingly and exquisitely restored and renovated. Last two photos by Alberto Flammer and Martin Hesse, respectively. Color photos by Iwan Baan.
1966 - The Rentsch House, In der Ledi, Wengen 3823 in Lauterbrunnen Switzerland. The landscape architect was Ernst Cramer. Commissioned 1964. Built on the outskirts of Wengen with an impressive view of the Eiger mountain massif. Originally designed with a flat roof, Neutra was forced by planning officials to add a gabled roof. Color photos by Iwan Baan.
1966 - The Virzintas Penthouse, 4338 1/2 Laurel Canyon Boulevard, Los Angeles CA. The address of the main building is 4336. Sold in 2006 to David Berger and Seth Caplan.
1966 - The Von Huene Cabin, 168 Joaquin Road, Mammoth Lakes CA.
1967 - The Wilhelm Kemper House, Dorner Weg 100, Wuppertal-Ronsdorf, Germany. The interior has been dramatically altered from Neutra's original design.
1967 - The Harold D. and
Monica S. Nuffer Cabin,
Mono Street, Mammoth Lakes CA.
1967 - The Paul and Alice Shinoda House, 1124 Camino Del Rio, Santa Barbara CA. Destroyed by the Painted Cave wildfire in 1991. The Shinodas chose not to rebuild and sold the land.
1968 - The Stern House, 621 North Camden Drive, Beverly Hills CA. Sold to Farshid and Sandy Shohed. Destroyed and replaced with a new house, bottom photo.
1968 - The Walter and Inga Rice House, 1000 Old Locke Lane, on an island in the James River, Richmond VA, donated to the Science Museum of Virginia Foundation in 1996. 6000 square feet. Built by Kayhoe Construction. Neutra's only house in Richmond. Available for tour by special arrangement.
1968 - The Ann and Donald Brown House, 3005 Audubon Terrace NW, Washington DC. Heather Willson Cass designed an addition (bottom left photo) in the early 1990's. 4000 square feet. Neutra's only house in DC and his last in the United States.
1969 - The Pescher House, Am Freudenberg 75, Wuppertal, Germany. Commissioned 1968. Well-preserved in original condition, similar to the Rentsch House. Bottom photo by Iwan Baan.
1969 - The Marcel Delcourt House, 18bis Avenue General de Gaulle, Croix, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France. Neutra's last house, and his only house in France. Now surrounded by a high wall. Photos by Iwan Baan.
1970 - The Stettfurt House, aka the Jurgen Tillmann House, Thurgau, Switzerland. Begun as a low-budget project drawn by his son Dion, and completed (after a break during which financing was unavailable) by Honegger, a Swiss architect who previously worked with Neutra. Even so, a few months before he died, Neutra requested in a letter to be referred to as the home's original designer. Sold to a second owner, an attorney. Sold in the late 1980's to the Bachmanns, third owners. The interior has been renovated. Photo by Iwan Baan.
2011 - A house for sale in Madrid is listed as designed by Richard Neutra. However, Neutra never designed any houses in Spain. NCMH alerted noted Neutra expert Barbara Lamprecht. She commmunicated with the family of the owner. According to the owner's nephew, "This project was done in the 60's for the soldiers of the American base in Torrejon de Ardoz, that is why it was called Aneutra." The real estate listing agent saw this term and made an incorrect assumption. Case closed.
Sources include: Diann London, Ojai Valley Museum; Silver Lake News; Freebase; Blockshopper; Arts and Architecture Case Study Houses; LALife; YouAreHere; Pacific Coast Architecture Database; Archiportal; Classic houses of Portland Oregon: 1850-1950 by William John Hawkins and William F. Willingham; Private Landscapes: Modernist Gardens in Southern California by Pamela Burton and Marie Botnick; Virtual GlobeTrotting; Neutraweb; Neutra: The Complete Works by Barbara Lamprecht; Tobias Kaiser; Richard Neutra in Europe, Buildings and Projects 1960â€“1970; Exhibition by the Marta Herford Museum, Herford, Germany, May-August 2010; Richard Neutra 1950-1960 Buildings and Projects by Karl KrÃ¤mer Verlag; Catherine Meyler; Los Angeles: An Architectural Guide by David Gebhard and Robert Winter; Raymond Richard Neutra; Dion Neutra; Ted Cleary; Patricia Leddy; Mike Dorsey; Sally Shapiro.