MISCELLANEOUS RALEIGH and WAKE COUNTY
Wake County Historic Districts as of 10/2012: Adams-Edwards House * Apex Historic District Boundary Increase III * Bailey-Estes House *George and Neva Barbee House *Battery Heights Historic District *Dr. Nathan M. Blalock House *Boylan Apartments *Capitol Heights Historic District *Carolina Coach Garage and Shop *City Cemetery *William A. Curtis House *Davis-Adcock Store *Fayetteville Street Historic District *Free Church of the Good Shepherd *Fuquay Springs Teacherage *Fuquay-Varina Woman's Club Clubhouse *Harmony Plantation *Harwell Hamilton and Jean Banks Harris House and Office *Samuel Bartley Holleman House *Holly Springs Masonic Lodge *Ivey-Ellington House *Rufus J. Ivey House *Calvin Wray Lawrence House *Longview Gardens Historic District *Maiden Lane Historic District *Madonna Acres Historic District *Meadowbrook Country Club *Midway Plantation House and Outbuildings *Mount Hope Cemetery *Pine Hall *Post World War II and Modern Architecture in Raleigh, North Carolina, 1945-1965 *Purefoy-Chappell House and Outbuildings *Raleigh Bonded Warehouse *Rock Cliff Farm *Paul and Ellen Welles House *Wendell Boulevard Historic District
About 1923 - The McGinnis-Bagwell Residence, 931 Vance Street, Raleigh. A prairie-style modern built for insurance agent Eugene McGinnis by Raleigh engineer Howard E. Satterfield. Architect unknown. Sold in 1950 to Larry and Hasseltine Bagwell. At some point they built a rear addition. In 2003, it was sold to John F. and Michelle Cowell who still owned it as of 2012. An extensive restoration, renovation and addition began in 2003 and finished in 2005. The rear addition was removed and a new addition designed by Richard Hall and built by DJ Rose. 5455 heated and cooled square feet, approx 1860 square feet of balconies, terraces, porches, and patios. 4 bedrooms, 4 full baths, 3 half baths, 2 car and 1 car garages, geothermal heating and cooling system. Metro Magazine did an article, here. Was on the market 2010-2012.
1942 - The Josephine Edwards House, 20 Turner, Raleigh. Designed by her son, NCSU Architectural Engineering graduate Richard Edwards. After she died, the heirs eventually transferred the house to grandson Francis C. Edwards, the owner as of 2012.
1948 - The R. Wade and Odessa M. Brady House, 2509 Wake Drive, Raleigh. Architect unknown. Built by Wade Brady. Sold in 1993 to Virginia and Robert Price. For sale 2012-2013.
1951 - The John and Elizabeth Phelps House, 3909 Rhododendron, Raleigh. Designed by Elizabeth Phelps. Built by John Phelps. Sold in the early 1960's to Doye and Frances Jean Sherrill. Sold in 1977 to Richard G. Coleman. Sold in 1984 to Carl J. Brakebill III. Addition in 1995. Sold in 1994 to Charles and Sherri Grantham who still owned it as of 2012. Photo by Leilani Carter.
1952 – The Richard and Dolores Booth Residence, 3119 Birnamwood, Raleigh. Architect unknown. Sold to Joseph and Linda Grimsley in 1973. Sold in 1985 to Judson P. and Nancy Essex. Renovation in the late 80’s by architect Gail Lindsey. Sold in 2000 to Ben and Beth Yerxa. Will Alphin redesigned and built the front entry and second story. Louis Cherry designed a rear addition and kitchen overhaul yet to be built. Top picture is from 1998. Bottom picture is from 2007.
1953 - The Wallace and Margaret Alford House, 924 Lake Boone Trail, Raleigh. Designed by engineer John D. Joslin. Restored, including a new 6-burner gas range, other new appliances, and the original built-in charcoal grill. Sold in 1956 to Grace and Hobson Gattis. Sold in 1997 to Perry Young. Sold in 2000 to David and Allison Black. Sold in 2010 to Jeffrey and Christina Hutchinson.
1954 - The John R. and Martha C. Adams Residence, 2336 New Bern Avenue, Raleigh. Architect unknown. The Adams sold in 1963 to William and Dorothy Simonds. Mrs. Simonds sold it in 1970 to John and Sheila Nader. They sold in 2007 to their daughter, Mary Nader, and her husband, architect Louis Gerics.
1954 - The Henry C. Riggs House, 3224 Lewis Farm Road, Raleigh. Riggs bought the plans from Popular Mechanics for $15 and began construction in 1952. According to his daughter, "the prototype was of frame construction but he decided to build of concrete block (possibly because of reduced finishing costs) and steel-framed casement windows. This change of materials necessitated slight revisions to the plans; he also added a three-quarter bath and eliminated the breezeway. Although he worked full-time and frequently was out of town on business, he acted as the general contractor and did much of the work himself. While buying materials, we met another couple building a block house and we would visit each others' project and compare notes. We moved into our house as soon as the roof was on and the electrical, heating, and plumbing operational. For months my bed sat atop a big pile of plywood. By the end of 1954 father was purchasing wallpaper and drapery rods indicating that construction was basically complete. The exterior was left unpainted until it was time to sell; interior block walls were painted (using the vacuum cleaner) while interior partitions were traditional stud and drywall. The house sat on a concrete slab with radiant heat; a well provided water. The yard was left in its natural wooded state except for a small strip of lawn across the front." Sold in 1956 to Evelyn Hall. Sold in 1995 to David Sinclair Rice, the son of Dick Rice. As of 2012 still owned by David Rice. A two-story addition was added at one end and also a front porch.
1955 - The Albert and Betty Borg House, 1235 Onslow Road, Raleigh. According to Karin Stephens, it was designed by Cecil Elliott, a design professor at NCSU. Sold in 1958 to George and Karin Stephens. In 1965. they put in a fallout shelter. Sold to William C. Griffin in 1965. Sold in 1999 to Ronald Sederoff. Sold in 2004 to Shunichi and Jennifer Ito.
1956 - The Marcelene Penny Ogburn House, 2319 Airline Drive, Raleigh. The architect is presumed to be James Penny, needs verification. As of 2012 still owned by Ms. Ogburn.
1957 - The William M. and Dolores S. Sexton House, 5325 Barclay Drive, Raleigh. Architect unknown. Sold in 1977 to Frank and Mary Edens. Sold in 1978 to J. Forrest and Lana P. Barnwell who still owned it as of 2012. Renovated 2002. Photo by Ericka Giroux.
1957 - The William Wesley (Wes) Carroll and Frances Katherine Plyler Carroll House, 1609 Pineview Drive, Raleigh. According to Wes Carroll, they chose a design from a plan book, and an unknown architecture student at NCSU modified the plan and made working drawings. Built by R. H. Eakley, from whom the Carrolls bought the property. There is a central core of brick running from the basement through to the roof. Was originally two bedrooms. Sold in 1961 to Richard (Dick) J. and Barbara B. Volk. They added a bedroom downstairs in the 1990's. Sold in 2006 to Andrew and Barbara H. Pendergrass.
1957 - The Joseph N. and Helen Boaz House, 3309 Milton, Raleigh. Designed by architect Joseph N. Boaz, partner to Milton Small and faculty member at the NCSU School of Design. Sold in 1966 to Charles and Joanne Jones. Sold in 1974 to Larry and Lynn Gottlieb. Sold in 1976 to Whan Su and Young Kang. Sold in 1998 to Michael and Christy Morris. Sold in 2004 to Eva and Christian Garland. Top photo from 2005; note the exterior Modernist elements have been removed. Second photo from 1997. Bottom photo from 1995.
1958 - The Truman and Marie Miller House, a duplex at 2703 Ashland, Raleigh. Sold in 1964 to Jack and June B. Preston who switched it to a single family residence. Sold in 1974 to June B. Preston who still owned it as of 2012. Architect unknown by the Prestons. Photo by Leilani Carter.
1958 - The Sidney Hughes House, 5207 Hawksbury Lane, Raleigh. Built by the Stevens Building Company. Sold in 1960 to Furman Bodenheimer. Sold in 1963 to William and Elfrieda Kurdian. Sold in 1965 to Preston and Jane Walker. Sold in 2007 to Kim Markling.
1959 – The James L. Penny and Marcelene Penny (Ogburn) Residence,
2129 Ridge Road, Raleigh. Designed
and bulit by James Penny. Sold in 1964 to Miriam S. Yearby,
Lawrence Crabtree, and Virginia W. Crabtree. Renovated 1975. Sold in 1978 to Margaret Ann
Link who still owned it as of 2012. Renovated 1993.
1959 - 3015 Haven Road, Raleigh. Built by J. T. Butts Construction Company. Architect unknown. Sold in 1960 to Harry and Rhoda Weiss. Sold in 1964 to Dixie Development Company. Sold in 1965 to George and Kate Sakas. Kate's brother was architect Lewis Polier. Sold in 2008 to Aaron Vaughen. Top photo from 1996, bottom from 2009.
1960 - The F. L. and Helen Wrenn Hood Residence, 917 Macon Place, Raleigh. Built by Howard Lynch. Designed by Jerry Miller. 1.02 acres. 2990 square feet. Sold in 1972 to Guy and Mamie Hubbard. Sold in 1978 to Hazel and James Ritchey. The house was damaged by water requiring an extensive restoration. Sold in 1994 to William and Cathryn Little. Sold in 2002 to Larsen and Nancy Isely. Sold in 2009 to Nathan and Tracy Sheaffer.
1960 - The R. A. and Margaret Bashford House, 4212 Windsor, Raleigh. Designed by architect Walter G. Davis. Sold in 1973 to Larry L. and Brenda J. Kennedy. Sold in 1975 to John and Elizabeth B. Gardner. Sold in 1989 to Walter G. Davis. Sold in 2006 to Emmanuel Scott and Kristine B. Lee. Sold in 2008 to Kristine B. Lee. Sold 2013 to Rebecca E. and Michael T. Brady.
1960 - The Paul and Lois R. Sharpe Residence, 4112 Windsor, Raleigh. Designed by his brother, Marvin Sharpe of Haw River NC. Sold in 2009 to Jennifer L. Krall.
1960 - The James A. and Olivia McNeill Residence, 3449 Blue Ridge Road, Raleigh. According to their son, Darryl, the house was built by his dad James McNeill, a land surveyor, from a magazine plan. James McNeill made a model first then built it! Sold in 1993 to Marco and Anne Meulink who still owned it as of 2012. Renovated in 1995.
1960 - The Rosalie and Pete Williams House, now located at 225 South Tarboro Street, Raleigh. Architect unknown. Built by the Williams. Sold in 1985 to Roger C. Sessoms, who moved it from 1821 Rock Quarry Road (bottom photo). This house was built on a concrete slab and the slab was unbroken in the move. Sold in 1994 to Willie Smiley Jr. Sold in 1998 back to Roger C. Sessoms. Sold in 1998 to Quinn C. Harris. Sold in 1999 to Carl Tony Crews and Hilda Faye Crews. Sold in 2002 to Bank One. Sold in 2003 back to Carl Tony Crews and Hilda Faye Crews. Sold in 2004 to Francis and Olamiju Aremo. Sold in 2009 to Lasalle Bank. Sold in 2009 to Barton Investment Group LLC. Was vacant for about a year. Sold in 2010 to Russell (Ray) and Jeanie Grunch.
1960 - The Joseph H. (Joe) and Elizabeth A. (Betsy) Cox House, 1132 Trailwood Drive, Raleigh. Commissioned 1956. Cox taught at the NCSU School of Design and was a prominent artist known for his paintings and scultures, especially the Color Wall, a kinetic light sculpture at NCSU. James Ellis Adams designed the house in the late 1950's. Sold in 1986 to Herbert H. Byrd who used it as a rental. Byrd did modifications, including adding hip roofs on top of the flat roof. Mike Cindric rented it for a while. Sold in 1993 to John and Victoria Fels who still owned it as of 2012.
1960 - The Robert and Miriam Prichard House, 625 South Lakeside Drive, Raleigh. According to Miriam Prichard, it was designed and built by Robert Prichard and his brother Bill and Mideastern Construction Company to replicate a "California Ranch" style. Sold in 1998 to Robert L. Levy. Sold in 2011 to Kristopher Lucas Bass.
1960 - The Sherman E. and Virginia S. Crites House, 315 Yadkin Drive, Raleigh. Architect unknown. The Crites lived in a similar home in New York and duplicated it here. According to June Brown, Bob Caviness was the builder, and Baker Roofing did the original roof work, which leaked and had to be replaced several times. Sold to R. Akers Moore. Sold in 1967 to Harry and June G. Brown. Sold in 1993 to Michael and Marilyn Olson, who did a renovation and addition, top photo. Sold in 1999 to architect Jeff Davis and his wife Joyce, who undid many past changes with their own beautiful restoration. Photos by Jeff Davis.
1960 - The Wilmer C. and Georg'Ellen Betts House, 3615 Alleghany, Raleigh. Designed by John T. Caldwell. Sold in 1984 to Durwood Wiggins. In 1985 it became a group home for autistic adults. Sold in 1997 to Orris Temple Sloan III who removed the Modernist look, bottom photo. Sold in 2001 to M. Marshall and Karen S. Happer. Sold in 2005 to George R. and Mary Cunningham, Jr.
1961 - The John H. Voorhees, Jr. House, 2727 North Mayview, Raleigh. Voorhees, a city planner in Raleigh who also taught at NCSU, designed it himself. Sold to James C. and Molly Kuehn in 1988. Sold to Sold to Salvatore and Ilene Corbo in 1995. Sold to Kimberly Dove in 2006. In spring 2011, Dove put the property on the market as a lot. Top photo by Leilani Carter, bottom by Goodnight Raleigh.
1961 - The Lawrence C. and Marjorie Moore Residence, 5014 Shamrock, Raleigh. Designed and built by Myrick and Associates. Sold in 1967 to John and Virginia Stephenson. Has its own fallout shelter. Top photo by Leilani Carter. Sold in 2010 to Benjamin and Eoline Runkle.
1961 - The Charles and Marilyn Jeffries Residence, 4901 Rembert, Raleigh. Designed by architect John T. Caldwell. Sold in 1969 to Eunice and William Deerhake. Transferred to their sons William and Stephen Deerhake who did a terrific restoration. Sold in 2011 to Harvey Allen Jr. Photos by Leilani Carter. Sold in 2013 to Todd A. and Gregory J. Jensen.
1962 - The David J. and Marilyn Martin House, 248 Marilyn Circle, Cary. Built from a plan book, according to former owner Andrew Ingraham, this Usonian design sold in 1962 to James R. and Betty Jean Royal. Sold in 1965 back to David J. and Marilyn Martin. Sold in 1966 to Walter C. and Pearl Marks. Remodeled in 1966. Sold in 1967 to Thomas E. and Jacqueline Harmon. Sold in 1968 to Rodger C. and Kathleen J. Bailey. Sold in 1969 to James and Katherine Hoffman. Sold in 1979 to Donald and Laura Grimes. Sold in 1989 to Joseph Lee Hucks. Sold in 1996 to Andrew and Deborah Ingraham who put on an addition and extensively renovated in 1998. Sold in 2003 to Christopher Watkins.
1962 - The Julius Leonard Perry and Ethel Skinner Perry House, 4900 Glen Forest Drive, Raleigh. Architect unknown. Sold in 1966 to G. Henry and Hilda F. Ramsey. Sold in 1969 to William W. Elliott. Sold in 1994 to James and Grace McQueen who still owned it as of 2012. Photo by Leilani Carter.
1963 - The Hoke and Hortense Bullock House, 5601 Winthrop Drive, Raleigh. Architect unknown. Sold in 1988 to Lyston and Lamont Farmer. Sold in 1996 to Lamont Farmer. Sold in 1998 to Reid Hardin and Amy Ball. Sold in 2004 to Willard Barbour and Emily Aldrich. Photos by Leilani Carter.
1963 - The Vernon R. (Ray) and Gail Glenn House, 3819 Buffaloe Road, Raleigh. Architect unknown. Sold in 1968 to Paul and Nancy Allen. Sold in 1972 to Sidney and Hilda Deans. Sold in 1987 to Nancy Larkins and Michael Eckert. Sold in 1995 to Steven and Lucinda Rowland. Since deeded to Lucinda Sue Sager.
1964 - The Keith and Alice Harrod House, 3942 Blue Ridge Road, Raleigh NC. Designed and built by Keith Harrod. They later converted the garage to a den and created a carport; expanded the master bedroom and added a bath. Sold in 1980 to Nannette Merle Strowd. Sold in 1981 to William Jackson. Went into foreclosure. Sold in 1990 to Paul Castelloe who still owned it as of 2012.
1965 - The Wavely Garland Avent and Ann Avent House, 3336 Ocotea Street, Raleigh. Designed and built by Wavely G. Avent (pictured above), according to his wife Ann and their son Tony. Larry B. Bell drew up the plans. Sold in 1989 to Hill Carrow. Sold in 1993 to Robert and Mary McDowell. Sold in 2001 to Harry and Martha Tueting who still owned it as of 2012. Top photo by Leilani Carter.
1965 - The Mary Alice Simmons House, 614 Gardner, Raleigh, uniquely built over a creek! She purchased the land from Jim Stephens Lewis. J. B. Bagwell was the builder. Architect unknown. 2 bedrooms, 1 bath. Sold in 1972 to Carroll Leggett. Sold in 1976 to J. C. Raulston. Sold in 1997 to Aurora Hernandez who still owned it as of 2012 as a rental house. Photos by Leilani Carter.
1966 - The John Devereaux Joslin Residence, 3037 Granville Drive, Raleigh. Designed by Joslin, an engineer. Sold for the first time in 2012 to Janie W. and Cecil O. Smith, Jr. who destroyed it.
1966 - The Paul and Dorothy Frontiero House, 4512 Bartlett Drive, Raleigh. The plan was designed by architect Paul Canin (bottom photo) for their house in Poughkeepsie NY in 1959. They liked it so much they had him duplicate the plans when they moved to Raleigh. As of 2012 still occupied by the Frontieros.
1967 – The Jerry and Janice Warren House, 3113 Birnamwood Road, Raleigh. This is a kit house. Sold in 1971 to Richard and Edith Sylla who still owned it as of 2012. Photo by George Smart.
1967 - The James and Betty Bost House, 1512 Delmont, Raleigh. Designed and built by James Bost, who worked in the shop at the NCSU School of Design. As of 2011, they had lived there 44 years.
1969 - The James Blythe Brown and Evelyn Brown House, 5200 Sedgefield Drive, Raleigh. Architect unknown. Sold in 1970 to Hilda P. and O. Ray Barbour. Sold to Able Investment Company in 1971. Sold later in 1971 to Stephen G. and Sheryl Bush. Sold in 1972 to Dorothy K. and Ronald Craig Wilburn. Sold to Victor and Mary Anne Hocutt in 1979. Sold in 1980 to Nellie Alford. Sold in 1983 to John and Wanda Canada. Sold in 1990 to Michael and Mary Gregory. Sold in 1997 to John Bosch Jr. Sold in 1998 to Arllie Lee Perry. Sold in 2001 to Chase Bank of Texas. Sold in 2001 to Karen and Roberto Ibarra. Sold in 2004 to Doug Stoddart. Photo by Leilani Carter.
1969 – The James Stanley Wiberly and Helen K. Wiberly House, 2119 Ridge Road, Raleigh. Architect unknown. 2922 square feet. Sold in 1976 to Gerald G. L. and Nancy C. R. Meyer. Sold in 1977 to Carl E. and Tina Poole Grad who still owned it as of 2012. Two additions, one in 1988 and one in 2002, both designed by the Grads.
1969 - 1420 Jenks Carpenter Road, Cary. Architect unknown. Sold in 1973 to Homer & Margarita M. Morrison. Sold in 1981 to Robert and Evelyn A. Hickman. Sold in 1987 to Douglas J Geiger who still owned it as of 2012. Was for rent and sale in 2010. 3 bed, 3.0 bath, 1990 sqft. Larger photos by Katheryn OldShield Mukai.
1970 - The Milton E. and Gene W. Hobbs House, 208 Edinburgh, Cary. Lake front property. Developed by MacGregor Downs and sold to the Hobbs in 1971. Sold in 1983 to Norman and Joanne Hoube. Sold in 1984 to Recaredo and Lourdes Reyes. Sold in 2011 to John and Linda Charles worth. Photo by Leilani Carter.
1971 - The Richard and Barbara Kitchell House, 5713 Calton Drive, Raleigh, designed by Ron McLaren. Sold in 2001 to James P. Knight. Sold later in 2001 to Leslie (Les) Geller. Sold in 2004 to Arthur Withington. Sold later in 2004 to Thomas B. Skinner Jr. and James Lester Harmon. Sold in 2008 to Joseph Grayson Minton.
1971 - 1400 Ravenhurst, Raleigh. Architect unknown. Sold in 1972 to Charles G. Fuller. Sold in 1989 to Locksley Gardner. Sold in 1997 to Anna C. Schmink. Sold in 1999 to Jennie Lancaster and Laura Crumpler. Sold in 2004 to Bradley and Evelyn Dolan. Sold in 2012 to Elisa F. and Jay R. Mosier.
1972 - The Thomas H. and Joyce Byrd III House, 214 Annandale, Cary. Designed by Bill Nichols. Built by Frank Walser. Still owned by the Byrds as of 2011.
1973 - The William and Alma Waters House, 212 Edinburgh Drive, Cary. Two linked Topsider pedestal houses, 1952 square feet total. Sold in 1977 to Edward and Eleanor Battiste. Sold to James and Eleanor Shawfield Strothman in 1994. Sold to Beryl Road Properties in 2007. First two photos by Bill Mooney. Bottom photo by Leilani Carter. Dismantled in 2011.
1973 - The Harvey and Georgia Kebschull House, 1108 Bancroft, Raleigh. Designed by Harvey Kebschull. Built by J. P. Goforth.
1973 - The Joseph L. (Jay) and Janice
6128 Riverside Drive, Wake Forest NC. Jay
James, who received training in engineering in the Navy, designed and built 15
1/2 240sf hexagon structures and connected them to form a 5000 sf house on
nearly three acres. James extended the roof line down to the ground in
many areas, creating outside storage rooms. The house featured passive and
active solar power, including a mirror that tracked the sun. The pool was
floored over in 2003 to create a large bonus room. However, the pool is
still under the floor and could be easily recovered. James also built
houses in Raleigh for Fred Nixon, Harold Sharp, and Paul Fleming. TMH did
a tour in May 2011.
1973 - The Terrence and Betty D. Curtin House, 2809 Sandia Drive, Raleigh. Designed in 1972 by RNR, a partnership between Calvin A. Mellott of Chapel Hill and David S. Reed of Raleigh. Built in 1973 by RNR. Sold in 1974 to John and Anne Dornan. Sold in 1991 to Terry Elrod and Anne B. Schwerin. Sold in 2000 to Donald and Cari Hepp. Sold in 2006 to Rebecca Hadley Watson who did a complete renovation. Sold in 2012 to Alexander McTighe.
1976 - The William and Leilani Carter Residence, 3509 Catalano Drive, Raleigh. Leilani Carter chose a magazine plan for the original house. There were two renovations, one by Frank Craig and one by Rick Best. As of 2012 still owned by the Carters. Photos by Leilani Carter.
1976 - The Speros J. and Patricia L. Fleggas House, 2816 Sandia, Raleigh. Architect unknown. Developed by Audie Barefoot, Jr. Sold in 1991 to William M. Black, Jr. Sold in 1992 to Daniel J. Woods. Sold in 1995 to Robert S. and Jeanne B. W. Kiel. Sold in 2000 to Robert P. Gruber, Jr. Sold in 2004 to Carol and Hristina Mauriello. Sold in 2006 to Robert and Haven Lindsey.
1978 - The Oral D. and Mary Roberson Residence, 8221 Netherlands Drive, Raleigh. Ken Rose was the builder. Bennett Keasler was the architect. Sold in 1989 to Leo and Sharon Uhran. Originally had black cedar siding. Sold in 1990 to L. Arthur and Marguerite Thornton. Sold in 1992 to Charles and Jean Marie Livaudais who changed the color of the siding. Sold in 1996 to Richard and Marylou Cassese. Sold in 1999 to Johannes and Sonja Lombard who put on an addition in 2004. Sold in 2011 to Cheryl and Curtiss Mason. Photos by Leilani Carter.
1978 - The Larry R. and Donna C. Jewell Residence, 3105 Chancery, Raleigh. Architect unknown. Sold to Varner and Rebecca Olmstead in 1983. Sold to Thomas and Beverly Flaherty in 1990. Sold to Eric and Hilary Lamb in 1997. Sold to Gerd Duscher in 2002. Sold in 2009 to Zachary Miller and Amanda Washburn. Bottom photo by Leilani Carter.
1978 - The Walter S. and Miriam H. Hunt House, 601 Blenheim, Raleigh. Designed by architect William Clyde (Cy) McGee. Built by Shelter Builders. Walter Hunt designed and had built a back deck with its special 'roof.' Sold in 1990 to Harriet Stubbs.
1978 - The Rickey Daryle Bowman Residence, 2905 Debra Drive, Raleigh. Architect unknown. Three bedrooms. 2113 square feet. Sold in 1987 to Sandra Cooper. Sold in 1993 to Frederick (Ted) Givens and Min Loi Hwee. Sold in 2009 to Megan and Joseph Chorley.
1979 - The William W. Williams II House, 7512 Ebenezer Church Road, Raleigh. Architect unknown. Sold in 1981 to Terry H. Tingen and Sandra Steed Cain. Sold in 1988 to Sandra Steed Cain. Sold in 1993 to John N. Richey. Sold in 1995 to Daniel and Elizabeth Page who still owned it as of 2012. Photo by Leilani Carter.
1980 - The William A. (Alan) and Kate Turner House, 3518 Eden Croft, Raleigh. Designed by architect Alan Turner. Sold in 1992 to Thomas and Marion Bolz who still owned it as of 2012. Bottom photo by Alan Turner.
1980 - The Wakeham House II, 6801 West Lake Anne Drive, Raleigh. Designed by architect William Wakeham of Bartholomew and Wakeham next door to the house designed for his wife's mother. It stayed in the family until sold to Nikolay Klibson in 1998. Sold in 2000 to Mohammed Malek. Sold in 2002 to Allison and Reuben McFadden. Sold in 2006 to Debra Miller.
1980 - The John R. and Judith Adams House, 3025 Westbury, Raleigh. Designed by Ellinwood Design Associates. 4000sf. Built by John R. Adams who still owned it as of 2012. B/W photo by Artech, Inc. Color photo, bottom, by Leilani Carter.
1981 - The Marvin D. and Patricia V. Montgomery House, 106 Homestead, Cary. The couple designed it on the back of a napkin and got a local builder to make it happen. The lower floor is also an office. Sold in 2000 to Bradley and Julia Jones.
1984 - The Michael B. and Patricia K. Norton House, 11900 Creedmoor Road, Raleigh. Designed and built by the Nortons. Sold in 2007 to Phong Tran.
1984 - The Barry and Sue Garrett House, 8100 Brookwood, Raleigh. Sold to Sue Hepler. Built from a plan book created by architect Donald A. Gardner. Sold in 2011 to Casey and Melanie Carson.
1985 - The Harold and Bettie Garner House, 2804 Cascade Place, Garner NC, on Lake Benson. Architect unknown. Sold in 1998 to Kenneth and Barbara Lehner. Sold in 2004 to Mark and Allison V. Smith. 2489 sf.
1987 - The Mark Burton House,
3506 Tennyson, Raleigh.
1988 - The Ricardo A. and Patricia Gonzalez House, 5433 Den Heider, Raleigh. Designed by architect Ricardo Gonzalez. Built by Gregory Wallace of Southern Pines. HVAC engineering by Nick Kisler of Cary. Featured in NC Architect Magazine in 1989. Sold in 2006 to Zahid Riaz and Shelly Soch.
1993 - The Laura H. Borden and Roy Borden House, 4200 Azalea Drive, Raleigh. Lee Butler owned this land but sold it before leaving Raleigh. It changed hands several times, including to neighbor David Tung. In 1992, Laura Borden bought the property and designed this house for herself and husband Roy who served as general contractor. As of 2012 still owned by Laura Borden.
2003 - The Erick and Gloria Venerio Residence, 1132 Thelonious Drive (also listed as 1918 Waters Drive), Raleigh. Built by Habitat for Humanity. Designed by Anna Marich.
The Randolph D. and Debra Zelov, Jr. House,
5432 Windmill, Raleigh.
Designed by Randolph Zelov. Built by Scott McLean. Sold 2012 to the Marybeth
- The Alireza A. Mousavi and Maryam "Samila" Mohseni Residence,
9913 Macon Road, Raleigh.
Designed and built by the owners. All steel framing with block
wall construction designed to withstand hurricanes.
Cabinetry by Ikea. Photos by Leilani Carter.
- The Isaac Panzarella House/Office,
232 Glascock Street, Raleigh NC. Color photos by Tobias Kaiser. Located behind a 1930's house, bottom
2009 - The Chris and Emily Alexander
1131 Marshall Street, Raleigh. Designed by Chris
Alexander, who bought it in 2004, and his friend Michael
Cotton. Construction began in 2006, also by Alexander. Renovation/extension
of an existing house, bottom photo. Top two photos by Leilani Carter.
2010 - The Michael Stevenson and Kim
210 East Forest Drive, Raleigh.
Designed by married architects Michael Stevenson and Kim
Thrower. The lot was empty for decades, formerly the site of a
carriage house for the lot behind them on Hillcrest. Lysaght and
Associates, structural engineers. Construction by Greg Paul Builders.
Photos by George Smart.
2008 - The Alireza A. Mousavi and Maryam "Samila" Mohseni Residence, 9913 Macon Road, Raleigh. Designed and built by the owners. All steel framing with block wall construction designed to withstand hurricanes. Cabinetry by Ikea. Photos by Leilani Carter.
2006 - The Isaac Panzarella House/Office, 232 Glascock Street, Raleigh NC. Color photos by Tobias Kaiser. Located behind a 1930's house, bottom photo.
2009 - The Chris and Emily Alexander Renovation, 1131 Marshall Street, Raleigh. Designed by Chris Alexander, who bought it in 2004, and his friend Michael Cotton. Construction began in 2006, also by Alexander. Renovation/extension of an existing house, bottom photo. Top two photos by Leilani Carter.
2010 - The Michael Stevenson and Kim Thrower Residence, 210 East Forest Drive, Raleigh. Designed by married architects Michael Stevenson and Kim Thrower. The lot was empty for decades, formerly the site of a carriage house for the lot behind them on Hillcrest. Lysaght and Associates, structural engineers. Construction by Greg Paul Builders. Photos by George Smart.
Triangle Modernist Archive, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.