DONALD EUGENE (DON) STEWART (1926-2012)
Stewart got his BA in Architecture at Miami of Ohio in 1952 and a MA of Regional Planning at UNC-Chapel Hill shortly thereafter. He went to work for Jim Webb as a partner in City Planning and Architecture Associates. In 1958 Bob Anderson joined as a partner. Webb left the firm around 1963. Stewart designed many buildings and homes around Chapel Hill including UNC's Carmichael Auditorium, the longtime home of Dean Smith's winning basketball team.
The old Chapel Hill Public Library, designed by Stewart in association with Brian Shawcroft, was put under easement to Preservation North Carolina through the efforts of Chapel Hill City Council member Sally Greene, herself a modernist homeowner.
Stewart is also known for the design of the iconic Atlantis Lodge in Atlantic Beach NC.
1952 - The Isabella S. Davis House, 701 Greenwood Road, Chapel Hill. Photo by Dail Dixon. Sold in 1994 to Glenn and Suzanne Voss. Sold in 2001 to Margaret (Mimi) Fisher Terry who still owned it as of 2012. Garage modifications by architect Georgia Bizios.
1957 - The John and Nina Sessions house, 700 Morgan Creek Road, Chapel Hill. As of 2012 still owned by the Sessions. Bottom photo by Leilani Carter.
1958 - The Donald Stewart House, 408 Severin Street, Chapel Hill. Sold in 1970 to George W. and Helen M. McCall. Sold in 1975 to Elizabeth Eagle. Sold in 1979 to Elizabeth Miller. Sold in 2011 to Sarah J. Somers.
1960 - The Norman Bowers House, 903 Coker Drive, Chapel Hill. In 1960, the Bowers had just returned from Japan and wanted Japanese styling through the interior. Sold in 1965 to Robert Nelson. As of 2012 owned by Robert Ferrier.
1961 - The Alan and Sylvia Kerckhoff Residence, 1511 Pinecrest, Durham. These original owners lived there 48 years. Sold August 2009 to Thomas Shirley and Martha Zeagler.
1966 - The John and Ruby Graham Residence, 108 Glendale Drive, Chapel Hill. Built by Carl Ellington. Architect Jim Webb reworked the windows at some point. Sold in June 2006 to Dennis and Jean Hendrickson who made significant improvements. Photos by Jean Hendrickson. Sold in 2012 to David Witsell. He commissioned a master suite addition (bottom two renderings) by Craig Kerins which was not built.
1966 - The Jean Holcomb Remodel, 302 Burlage Circle, Chapel Hill. Original house was built in 1957. For sale in 2015.
1967 - The J. D. and Jean Phillips Residence, 529 Caswell, Chapel Hill. Stewart also did a renovation in 1974. As of 2012 still owned by the Phillips. Photo by Julie Hollenbeck.
1968 - The Hale C. and Anne K. Sweeny Residence, 3500 Cambridge, Durham. Top two photos by Leilani Carter, rest by Bill Welty. The Sweeny's stayed there 42 years and sold it in 2010 - in two days - to Bill and Bea Welty.
1968 - The Robert (Bob) Anderson House,
601 Brookview Drive,
Chapel Hill. Straddles Cedar Fork Creek in the Lake Forest area of Chapel
1972 - The Henry A. Landsberger Remodeling, 807 Kings Mill Road, Chapel Hill. House was built in 1950.
1973 - The Roy V. and Helena S. Talmage Remodeling, 347 Wesley Drive, Chapel Hill. Sold in 1978 to Walter N. Vickery. Sold in 1992 to Christopher Rowe, still owner as of 2014.
1975 - The Thomas Higgins House, 708 Wellington, Chapel Hill. Stewart modified plans from Southern Living titled "A Home built for a Hillside." Security Building Company (J. P. Goforth) was the builder. Has been sold.
1983 - The Ish Sud Residence, 3004 Montgomery Street, Durham. As of 2012 still owned by Sud. Bottom photo by Julie Hollenbeck.
1984 - The Billy J. Baucom House, 616 Bayberry Drive, Chapel Hill. Commissioned 1982. As of 2013 still owned by Baucom.
1986 - The Donald Stewart House, 7111 Pine Hill, Durham. Sold in 2003 to Xiaobai Sun.
Sources include: The Town and Gown Architecture of Chapel Hill, North Carolina 1795-1975 by M. Ruth Little, Sally Greene, Don and Brenda Stewart, CPAA, Bitty Holton.